Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

Charcoal Canister

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2014, 01:34 PM

Charcoal Canister

Does anyone know how I can get a new charcoal canister for my 1978 Olds Toronado? The canisters are part of the EVAP system for the fuel tanks and I am having problems with the fuel tanks venting fast enough when below half full.
Old July 4th, 2014, 05:53 AM

Looks like to me there is just some granulated carbon like I use in my fish tank inside the canister with a white cotton filter in the bottomto keep it from lfalling out.I would think you could empty it and refill it.Im now expert so maybe somebody could shed more light on the subject.
Old July 9th, 2014, 09:16 AM

I have a 78 Eldorado. I just disconnected the canister. If you dont disconnect it, put a filter in between the canister and the carb. As those filters get old, the carbon can be pulled into the carb. You can just leave the canister there if you want, and disconnect the line that goes to the fuel tank. Or put a T in there somewhere open to the air.