Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

Tcs or tvs

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2013, 07:04 PM

Tcs or tvs

MY CAR IS A 70 442 W-30 WITH A/C P/S P/B AUTOMATIC BUILT 11-69, CAN U TELL ME IT MY CAR WOULD HAVE A TCS (TRANS. CONT. SOLINOID) ARE A TVS (TERMO. VAC. SW.) ALSO THE RADIATOR CHART IS VERY VAGE, TO ME WOULD MY CAR USE A 3 OR A 4 CORE RAD.
THANKS RAY

Last edited by NDERISE; March 11th, 2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old March 10th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by NDERISE
MY CAR IS A 70 442 W-30 WITH A/C P/S P/B AUTOMATIC BUILT 9-11, CAN U TELL ME IT MY CAR WOULD HAVE A TCS (TRANS. CONT. SOLINOID) ARE A TVS (TERMO. VAC. SW.) ALSO THE RADIATOR CHART IS VERY VAGE, TO ME WOULD MY CAR USE A 3 OR A 4 CORE RAD.
THANKS RAY
Ray,

TCS stands for Transmission Controlled Spark. It is an early emissions control system that disabled distributor vacuum advance in all gears except when the trans was in the highest gear (thus the Transmission controlled spark). The TCS system used a thermo vacuum switch to bypass the TCS and provide full vacuum to the distributor if the engine temperature got too high, so the answer is, you should have both.

Your car should have come with a four row radiator and HD cooling as part of the W-30 package.
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:28 PM

that's a very early build W30. As Joe said you should have both. The TCS mounts on an intake stud in the passenger side, many times those are missing. The TVS should be a three prong metal switch, brass bottom and threads and steel on top.
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:58 PM

Manuel states

Thanks joe i'am confused on tvs according to the service manuel on page 6k-9. It states that the tvs is on all a bodys with 455 except w-30 with y-72 (heavy duty cooling and gen.).
I 'am an auto tech by trade and worked on olds. From 1972 to 1982. At a small dealer with only 4 techs. We never saw any w-30s come through the shop. I always wanted one. I had a 70 and a 72 442 but now i have a w-30 matching #s which i am doing a frame-off on. Thanks for your info. And what do u think about page 6k-9 70 manuel statement

ray
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:03 PM

Steve is the tcs monted on the right front carb. Stud are on one of the intake bolts and if on an intake bolt is it mounted on a studed bolt are does it just use one of the intake bolts, SORRY ABOUT THE BUILT DATE ON MY CAR I CHANGED IT I HAD MY #S BACKWARDS IT WAS BUILT 11-69
thanks ray

Last edited by NDERISE; March 11th, 2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old March 11th, 2013, 05:58 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Ray: check out figures 6k-16 and 6k-17 on page 6k-10, which show the cases where the TVS is required. You have a W30 with AT and AC like the bottom example, which calls for the TVS. The sentence on 6k-9 is a negative statement, which is consistent with the figures. Basically I think a W30 without both AT and AC did not have the TVS.
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:01 AM

Thanks pcard for the input and info.
Ray
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:27 AM

Mine was built 11-69 as well. The TCS gets mounted to an intake bolt but this bolt has an extension of threads sticking up so an additional nut can be put on to hold the TCS onto it. It looks like a stud sticking out of the intake.
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:46 AM

Which bolt

Steve thanks for the info. Which bolt does it mount on i know the two middle bolts are short ones are does it mount to second longer bolt from the front right
Old February 5th, 2014, 09:50 AM

(Digging up an old thread here .... I don't visit this forum much.)

The third intake manifold bolt from the front, on the passenger side of the engine, should have a stud end. This is where you mount the TCS. This is the bolt just forward of the well for the choke heat pipe.

As to whether or not 1970 automatic W-30s with A/C received TVS from the factory: They're supposed to, but it wouldn't surprise me if any single car didn't get it. The reason is that when the engine plant built an automatic W-30 engine, they had no idea if that particular engine was destined for a car with A/C or not. If A/C, it was supposed to have TVS. If no A/C, no TVS. So the engine plant built the automatic W-30s without TVS, and it was up to the "engine dress" area at the final assembly plant to add TVS to any automatic W-30 engine desitined for an A/C car. There's a page in the final assembly manual (aka Product Information Manual) covering this coversion. But I can imagine it getting skipped.

This situation was unique for the automatic W-30 engines. All of the other 1970 enignes had a unique code depending on whether they were for A/C or not, so the engine plant could build them correctly with or without TVS, and no conversion was needed at final assembly.

By the way, ignore the Chassis Service Manual when it comes to stuff like this. It is not an accurate source of information for such details.