Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

Reproduction Turn Signal Lever 1970 A body

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2012 | 11:26 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Reproduction Turn Signal Lever 1970 A body

Some more reproduction angst. My restored tilt steering column works well. I put a nice new shiny turn signal level on and after a few miles noticed that there was a clicking and grinding noise when turning the wheel through 180 degrees.
After removing the wheel, lock plate and cancelling cam I noticed that the brass connector ring on the bottom of the cancelling cam was getting all chewed up and deformed. This was happening because the signal lever was too thick and was standing proud of the turn signal switch. This in turn made its attachment screw rub on the connector plate.
The solution was to grind the lever down so it sat flush with the top of the switch and counter sink the screw.
I also had to epoxy the connector to the cancelling cam because it had become so destorted.
Another couple of hours wasted because the Chinese cannot manufacture anything to spec. They try to be as cheap as possible and do not discard the items that do not pass testing (if they bother to test at all).