Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

Cruise control problem

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2016, 05:59 PM

Cruise control problem

I checked old threads and didn't see this covered anywhere. I put cruise control on my stock low mileage 72 cutlass last year. I could not find a good regulator for it so i used the older style bracket and bought a new regulator from rock auto. I hooked it all up and it works great but the problem is my speedometer now read about 8 MPH lower than actual mileage. Since the regulator is supposed to be a 1 to 1 ratio it shouldn't have changed as it was acurate before i installed cruise control. Would appreciate any input from anyone to help me with this.

Thanks Greg
Old September 15th, 2016, 05:11 PM

cruise problems

Anyone have ANY ideas? As far as I know there is only one adjustment on the regulator for how long after you push the button before the cruise kicks in.

Greg
Old September 16th, 2016, 04:21 PM

No idea, though I just was looking through my Olds parts and found what looks like a complete cruise assembly for 71/72, I'll see if it has documentation with it
Old September 16th, 2016, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
No idea, though I just was looking through my Olds parts and found what looks like a complete cruise assembly for 71/72, I'll see if it has documentation with it

Thanks, i would appreciate any help!

Greg
Old September 17th, 2016, 06:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

As you know, there is nothing in the cruise control unit itself that can change speedo calibration. The ONLY thing that I can possibly see resulting from adding the cruise unit is that the drive or driven gears in the trans are worn and the added drag of the cruise unit is causing them to slip. Try bypassing the cruise unit and see if the speedo is still off.
Old September 17th, 2016, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
As you know, there is nothing in the cruise control unit itself that can change speedo calibration. The ONLY thing that I can possibly see resulting from adding the cruise unit is that the drive or driven gears in the trans are worn and the added drag of the cruise unit is causing them to slip. Try bypassing the cruise unit and see if the speedo is still off.
Thanks Joe! I was hoping you would weigh in too. Dont know if i still have the original cable but i do think i will try that although im sure the speedo was correct before but then i used to remember alot more stuff when i was younger