Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

57 Ninety Eight stalls in hot weather

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2010, 05:12 AM

57 Ninety Eight stalls in hot weather

Just bought this car and seems to run fine exc. in hot weather when it seems the fuel pump shuts down? Or in any case the engine stalls and then you have to wait a LONG time before it will start right up again and run okay.

Heard this was a fuel pump/fuel line issue (leans against engine) but seems a bit of a mystery.

Anyone else encounter this?
Old July 16th, 2010, 05:14 AM

what part of the country are you in? I am almost certain it has to do with ethanol, but just a guess. Someone will be along shortly and have the answer I am sure.

welcome!
Old July 16th, 2010, 05:42 AM

Car is currently in Colorado with prior owner--I think they have not been putting lead additive in gas--could that have anything to do with it?
Old July 16th, 2010, 05:48 AM

that is a whole different issue - relating to the valve seats

the hard start hot is very common, having to do with the "boiling away" of the fuel, and the addition of ethanol (we have it here in FL 10% can not avoid it) seems to amplify any fuel-related issues.

If the car starts and runs fine cold, and even hot, but hard to restart, you may consider adding an additional fuel pump back at the tank to keep pressure in the fuel line. I am not so sure that this will fix it though.

I just had this added to my 76 Custom Cruiser, and while it did remedy a cold start issue (started, idled high and stalled once every morning, restarted and ran great) it really did not help my hot start issue.

In my case, it starts hot, but needs a minute of idle + to be smooth and fine prior to driving off.

It may also be something as simple as crap in the fuel, but like I said, if it is ok cold, that would be effected as well.
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

I concur. This sounds like vapor lock or percolation in the float bowl. Does the car have a fuel return line?
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:35 AM

The 57 Olds does not have a fuel return line. Check the location of you fuel line to see if it was replaced and run to close to the exhaust manifold at some point. Also check to make sure you are getting enough pressure from your fuel pump. It could be weak and causing the problem.

The stock fuel line routing does not come close to the exhaust manifold or the exhaust pipe.

I have never had this problem with my 57 and we have ethanol in our gas
Old July 16th, 2010, 05:50 PM

does the intake manifold have a exhaust cross over passage and riser valve?