Winter Project - '71 CS Suspension

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2020, 02:44 PM
Running On Empty

Winter Project - '71 CS Suspension

Completed rebuild of my '71 CS suspension.

Moog
LCA -
2 of Moog K5149 Control Arm Bushing Kit 2 of Moog K5149 Control Arm Bushing Kit
UCA -
 2 of Moog K5196 Control Arm Bushing Kit 2 of Moog K5196 Control Arm Bushing Kit
LCA -
2 of Moog K5103 Ball Joint 2 of Moog K5103 Ball Joint
UCA -
2 of Moog K5108 Ball Joint 2 of Moog K5108 Ball Joint
Moog K5143 Idler Arm Moog K5143 Idler Arm
2 of Moog K700535 Stabilizer Bar Link Kit 2 of Moog K700535 Stabilizer Bar Link Kit
2 of Moog ES406L Tie Rod End 2 of Moog ES406L Tie Rod End
2 of Moog ES406R Tie Rod End 2 of Moog ES406R Tie Rod End
2 of Moog ES2004S Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve 2 of Moog ES2004S Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve
Moog K5253 Sway Bar Bushing Kit Moog K5253 Sway Bar Bushing Kit

Inline Tube
64-74 Front Lower Control Arm Black Rubber Bump Bumper Stop Factory Correct 4pc (C-7-8 + C-7-8) 64-74 Front Lower Control Arm Black Rubber Bump Bumper Stop Factory Correct 4pc (C-7-8 + C-7-8)

UMI Performance
1968-1972 GM A-Body Boxed Lower & Tubular Upper Control Arms Kit

1965-1972 GM A-Body Polyurethane Rear End Housing Replacement Bushings

1964-1972 GM A-Body 1″ Solid Chromoly Rear Sway Bar

1964-1972 GM A-Body Complete Rear Control Arm Bolt Upgrade Kit

1967-1972 GM A-Body Factory Height Spring Set

Old January 9th, 2020, 03:45 PM
Running On Empty

NOTES

Springs: I ordered UMI Performance factory height springs. I was skeptical when they arrived - they were significantly shorter in height. I read the documentation which states: "UMI coils have shorter free height than factory coils. Free height is only one variable and cannot be used to compare our springs to other springs. The important measurement, the loaded height, is correct on our springs." With this information & the reputation of UMI Performance, I felt confident to install the springs without calling UMI Performance for further clarification. They were true to their word. The springs were perfect. The factory OEM front springs measured 16 5/8" tall - they required a compression to 14 1/4" for removal. The UMI Performance front springs measured ~14 1/4" tall. The ride height of the vehicle was perfect at the end of the day. Note the factory OEM front coil springs have 11 coil windings (16 5/8" tall); the UMI Performance front coil springs have 9 coil windings.

Spring Compressor: Do not use the spring compressor I used (1st image below). I thought I had the correct spring compressor for the job based upon a previous coil R&R I performed far too many years ago on my '72 442. I made a mistake. The problem with the type coil compressor I used is the paddle (which looks like a spatula) gets in the way (you will struggle forever) when it comes time to find a correct orientation for the spatula inside of the coil spring when compressed and then inserting that compressed coil spring back into an A-Body LCA. As Old(s)fart joe_padavano has pointed out in several threads, the correct spring compressor to employ can be identified by the last two images (below). Don't use an external (side) coil spring compressor - use an internal coil spring compressor.

Aside from the coil spring compressor (which I did continue to use to complete the project) nuisance/annoyance, the remainder of the project went w/o issue.

UMI Performance Coils - 9 coil windings

OEM Coils - 11 coil windings

Do Not Use

Do Not Use

Acceptable

I believe acceptable. I have not validated. OTC 7045B Front Coil Spring Compressor

Ride Height Profile (Stature) of '71 CS after suspension rebuild

Last edited by Vintage Chief; January 9th, 2020 at 04:08 PM. Reason: sp
Old January 9th, 2020, 03:54 PM
Running On Empty

My reason to R&R the front suspension.

Old January 9th, 2020, 04:07 PM
Running On Empty

I employed the OEM UCA & LCA I removed from the vehicle.

EZ-OFF Oven Cleaner - 2-3 Cleanings with wire brush

1st wire brushing

3M 08881 Non-Paintable (Undercoat) 1st Coat

3M 08882 Paintable 2nd Coat

VHT Epoxy Paint - Gloss Black Final Finish

Old January 9th, 2020, 04:23 PM
Running On Empty

UMI Performance

NOTE: The sway bar is forward of the differential & there remains plenty of room to raise the rear-end under the differential w/ my 3-ton floor jack w/ the jack pad fully engaged under the differential.

What came out

What went in

Old January 9th, 2020, 04:44 PM
same but different

Nice write up Norm. You're gonna be liking all that hard work with how well your car drives in the future.
Old January 9th, 2020, 04:56 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by don71
Nice write up Norm. You're gonna be liking all that hard work with how well your car drives in the future.
Thanks, Don - I'm looking forward to it.
Old January 9th, 2020, 07:14 PM

Nice work Norm. The stance is great and I am sure a well deserved upgrade. I see the same upgrade in my future with the 72 I am buying from my brother. The info and photos you have shared are helpful for a lot of folks. Thanks for your courtesy.

Keith
Old January 9th, 2020, 07:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Nice work, Norm. Your bushings look like the ones I pulled from my 67 Delta. FYI the WalMart foaming oven cleaner works just as well as EZ Off for $2.97 a can.
Old January 9th, 2020, 07:23 PM
Running On Empty

Thanks, Keith. Good luck w/ your upgrade.

Thanks, Joe. I'm all about $2.97 - I like those numbers.
Old January 9th, 2020, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Looks great Norm, your stance is perfect.
Old January 10th, 2020, 04:45 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Looks great Norm, your stance is perfect.
Thank you, Eric.
Old January 10th, 2020, 05:22 AM

Love the stance.Nice work Norm.
Old January 10th, 2020, 10:25 AM
Running On Empty

Will, thanks.
Old January 10th, 2020, 05:51 PM

See....? Now you got it all done... What you gonna do the rest of the winter??? Looks good Norm.
Old January 10th, 2020, 06:03 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
See....? Now you got it all done... What you gonna do the rest of the winter??? Looks good Norm.
Hmmmm.....come up to MI, finish your '56 150 w/ you, fill my trailer & back of my 250 w/ firewood from your 76 acres, head to Mike's drop it off, head home & put my '71 on jack stands - that should only take a couple weeks.
Old January 10th, 2020, 06:22 PM
Running On Empty

Had the front-end aligned today. I have no idea the last time the tires were balanced, Mark (alignment shop owner) took it for a spin after alignment and noticed very slight vibrations he believes are emanating from the wheels/tires. I mentioned I thought a wheel balance was in order & he agreed. I asked him about the type of wheel balancer he had because I told him I'd prefer to have the procedure done with a floor spin balancer. He said he has a floor spin balancer and we both agreed spin balancing the wheels/tires on the vehicle is the way to go. So, next week I'll drop by to have them spin balance the wheels/tires.

After that, back on the jack stands for awhile as I perform an R&R of the rubber hose fuel lines leading to & from the fuel tank.

I may have found the issue w/ a slight (what I believe is fuel) leak somewhere around the front of the carburetor. I thought the slight leak may have been coming from the fuel pump gasket, but when I remounted the air cleaner and spent additional time examining the leak I found not puddles, but a minor amount of fuel which appears to be coming down from the base carburetor gasket which mounts to the manifold. I reviewed the four carburetor/manifold attachment bolts and only the front ones were (actually) quite loose. I rebuilt the carburetor last summer & very gradually I've noticed a slight smell of gas, a little less gas mileage and then finally a minor slow leak. So (hopefully) I'm suspecting the front carburetor mount bolts were/are the issue. I think I used brand new GRADE VIII bolts when I remounted the carburetor and I always torque to recommended specifications but a 49 year old vehicle has had the carburetor dismounted (probably) several times, and the bolt hole threads might not be as 'tight' as when it was new. I don't like using Lok Tite of any color unless it's required in specific areas, but this may be a case where I might fudge a bit and use some. At any rate, I'll re-tighten the bolts to specs and see how the leak plays out and just keep an eye on it for now.

Then, I need to replace the whatever you call 'em - front door pillar/windshield windlace insulation? That rubber stuff.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; January 10th, 2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old January 10th, 2020, 08:10 PM
Administrator

How did it drive with the new alignment? I would not spin balance the tires on the car because it locks them in that location on the vehicle (can't rotate tires) and that specific mounting position on the hub.
Old January 10th, 2020, 08:20 PM

Old January 11th, 2020, 04:43 AM
Running On Empty

I'm still going to spin balance the wheels/tires w/ the floor spin balancer since I believe this method is superior to the stand-alone spin balancer & that was the reason for me asking if he had one - he actually has two of them in great working condition. I should probably have used my words more carefully but maybe I didn't describe it as well enough.

It's the old-school type of floor spin balancer - I guess maybe it's referred to as a Dynamic Spin Balancer. We used to refer to this type of balancer as a wheel/tire/chassis harmonic balancer. I have probably performed several hundred balancing acts w/ this type of spin balancer in my youth while working at our local Shell service station in the '60s.

For the same reason described in the comments of this video I found on YouTube, I believe this method is superior to other methods available including bubble balancing. Perhaps this method isn't much better than other methods available today because it takes time to balance in this manner; but, when it is done correctly it is very, very sweet. As it spins up, it's balancing not only the wheel & tire, but it's balancing the wheel & tire in relation to the harmonics of the chassis - disc/drum/bearings & hub. To a lesser degree, the brakes/calipers, etc. but only w/ regard to harmonics as those harmonics will be contained w/in the dynamics of the wheel & tire as it spins.

I believe folks have varying opinions regarding the types of wheel/tire balancers they prefer. This method does not afford you the ability to rotate tires for the reasons you indicated; yet, IMO the balance is superior to a free-standing spin balancer and/or a bubble balancer. My f250 gets the free-standing type spin balancing since I rotate those expensive huge tires often, my motorcycle(s) get the bubble balance. On this classic old piece of metal I'd prefer to balance the entire harmonics contained w/in each wheel 'assembly' for the reasons indicated.

Honestly the car did not handle much differently after the alignment compared to before the alignment.

Old January 11th, 2020, 05:49 AM

Nice work! That is a beautiful Cutlass, I had the Pontiac version for many years. I didn't know anyone still did on car balancing anymore. We had a Mobil station from '66-'86, I remember my old man would set a glass of water on the hood, when he was done it was as smooth as glass. Now most places use a road force balancer if needed.
Old January 11th, 2020, 06:24 AM
Rodney

Norm:
I really like the stance of your car, especially that it doesn't have the nose-down rake that is so common. What springs did you use? Big block or small block? What size are the wheels and tires? Thanks!

Rodney
Old January 11th, 2020, 06:30 AM
Running On Empty

Thanks Ragz. I’m not sure Mark (alignment/tire shop) does many of them. I noticed he does have a standard full floor-mount spin balancer and a bubble balancer, as well. So when I indicated I’d prefer an on-car dynamic (harmonic) spin balancer he said he had two of them in working condition.
Old January 11th, 2020, 06:35 AM
Running On Empty

Rodney. The springs I used are UMI Performance springs designed for factory OEM ride height - identified in the link above (^). I’m tightening down some final items and can’t recall the exact tire sizes - I’ll look at them in a moment and post back. The wheels are 15”, as I recall.
Old January 11th, 2020, 06:39 AM
Running On Empty

Tires: BFG P245/60R15 100S M+S
Old January 11th, 2020, 10:37 AM
Rodney

Norm:
Thanks for the tire & spring info; although my rims & tires are 245/45R18, my overall tire height is nearly the same as yours which really helps me estimate my ride height and wheel lip clearance.

Rodney
Old January 11th, 2020, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Hmmmm.....come up to MI, finish your '56 150 w/ you, fill my trailer & back of my 250 w/ firewood from your 76 acres, head to Mike's drop it off, head home & put my '71 on jack stands - that should only take a couple weeks.
Sounds good!!
Old July 3rd, 2020, 06:17 PM
Running On Empty

Old July 3rd, 2020, 06:54 PM
Always room for one more

Looking good Norm!

Old July 3rd, 2020, 06:57 PM
Running On Empty

Thanks, Mike!
Old July 4th, 2020, 07:52 AM
72 Olds CS

Do youstill have the helper springshocks on the car after changing the rear springs? Good writeup
Old July 4th, 2020, 08:43 AM
Running On Empty

The shocks which were on the car I removed directly after purchase of the vehicle (July 2018) and I installed Monroe spring overs on the rear Bilstein on front. These remain on the vehicle.
Old April 4th, 2021, 04:52 PM

Hi Norm,

Now that you been using this suspension for a while is there anything you would do differently if you were to do it again?
I keep hearing different opinions on rubber vs poly bushings.
Thanks

Tim
Old April 4th, 2021, 05:15 PM
Running On Empty

I heard various opinions regarding rubber vs poly prior to my decision when I rebuilt the suspension, as well. I have zero issues with ride and handling. I wouldn't have done it differently.
Old November 24th, 2021, 06:25 PM

The shocks which were on the car I removed directly after purchase of the vehicle (July 2018) and I installed Monroe spring overs on the rear Bilstein on front. These remain on the vehicle.
Norm I am going to order the suspension kits and parts. Do you have the part numbers for the shocks mentioned?
Old November 24th, 2021, 06:38 PM
Running On Empty

Pretty sure I do. Have to wait until morning. Currently a couch potato eating pumpkin pie and a hot cup of coffee. I’ll look them in the morning to let you know.
Old November 24th, 2021, 06:40 PM

:d

Thanks Norm

This is the spring tool I am considering.
https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W89311-Spring-Compressor/dp/B0002KO4GY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1501202192&sr=8-7&keywords=spring+compressor&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W89311-Spring-Compressor/dp/B0002KO4GY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1501202192&sr=8-7&keywords=spring+compressor&th=1

Last edited by otto72; November 24th, 2021 at 06:48 PM.
Old November 25th, 2021, 06:22 AM
Running On Empty

Keith - Happy Thanksgiving.

That spring tool should workout great for you - certainly don't use the one I purchased with the paddle.
I'll get those shock numbers for you shortly - need more coffee.
Old November 25th, 2021, 07:33 AM
Running On Empty

Keith - Here you go.
Front Shocks =
Bilstein 24-131506 Bilstein 24-131506
Rear Shocks = Monroe Shock & Strut 58574ST Evidently this shock number has been replaced with part number Monroe Shocks & Struts 58574
(Same shock -
Amazon Amazon
 Monroe 58574 Monroe Load Adjust Shock Absorber Monroe 58574 Monroe Load Adjust Shock Absorber
)
Old November 25th, 2021, 07:51 AM

Keith - Here you go.
Front Shocks = Bilstein 24-131506
Rear Shocks = Monroe Shock & Strut 58574ST Evidently this shock number has been replaced with part number Monroe Shocks & Struts 58574
(Same shock - Amazon Monroe 58574 Monroe Load Adjust Shock Absorber)
Thanks much for taking the time to look these up.
I am thinking about tackling the job this winter in phases. I am thinking on starting the rear first. The descriptions you have provided are really helpful thanks again for sharing.

Keith

Quick Reply: Winter Project - '71 CS Suspension