Vista Cruiser Rear Air Shocks = PROBLEM!

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2011, 08:16 PM

Vista Cruiser Rear Air Shocks = PROBLEM!

Hello all. So here's the background; I own a 1971 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. I added a rear sway bar quite a while ago (last summer) and rear air shocks probably less than a month after that install. I chose air shocks over the traditional gas charged because I preferred the ride height adjustability (I favor a higher, more "raked" look on the Vista)

I figured it was normal for the air shocks to lose pressure over time, but fairly recently they were losing pressure more and more rapidly, like within 3 hours of fill up. I checked out where the leak was coming from and it turns out my rear driver's side air shock actually developed a small crack from rubbing against the coil spring. The odd part is that the rear passenger side air shock doesn't rub against that coil spring. So I guess my question(s) to you guys would be "Is this a common problem among other Vista Cruisers & mid size wagons?" and "If so, is it possible to keep air shocks from doing this on the wagon?"...

My father and I are discussing putting a longer bolt in at the bottom of the air shock and adding thicker spacers, as to pitch it at an angle where it won't touch the coil spring anymore... Are there any objections to this idea?

Please let me know what you guys think as soon as possible, I'd like to sort this out next weekend. Thank you!
Old March 7th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Registered

Did the car have cargo coils installed?
I have cargo coils and no sway bar and had the same problem.
I tried some lower shock mounting bolt deals with a thicker spacer section and it still didn't help. Too much and it may throw off the geometry and could put a lot of stress on the shock and mounts.
You can give it a try but using them to hold the car up may not be a good thing, not good to begin with.
I took mine off and put on regular shocks, why I put them on I don't know, the car sat fine without them.
The things make no sense in most cases, putting all the car's weight on them can do bad things and isn't what the shock mounts were designed for.
I've seen bent up and punched through trunk mount areas on coupes, broken and bent lower mounts and even the shocks from that.
If you want to raise the ride height or carry more weight you use different springs or air bags.
If it's sits low without the air shocks you need new springs.

On mine I found some slop in my control arms because somebody forgot to torque them down after the car was on the ground.
You have to do it with the suspension loaded and sitting in it's normal position so I just left them snug and disremembered to do those after I lowered the car and tightened the fronts.
I swear I did them.
I don't know if it was from that letting the rear move a little or if the cargo coils are wider, shocks too wide?
Old March 7th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Administrator

There are generally two mounting position holes in the rear. possibly move them to the top hole (you may need to purchase a 1" shorter shock) or fabricate a plate utilizing those two holes and move the shocks slightly inboard.
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

I would suggest that you lose the air shocks and install Air Lift bags inside the coil springs. The shock mounting locations were never designed to carry the weight of the car. The air bags are concentric with the springs and apply load to the same brackets as the springs, so the factory load path is preserved. THEN get good gas shocks.
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:56 AM

My Vista does have the cargo/heavy duty coils on it currently. And thank you all for the advice. If I weren't a high school student with a low salary I'd invest in air bags but I guess at the moment I'll attempt the longer bolt and if that fails just leave it alone. It's not like it doesn't sit fine, the coil springs are in great condition and it's no problem. Thank you again though everybody! Glad to hear it's not just mine that had this problem.
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
i would suggest that you lose the air shocks and install air lift bags inside the coil springs. The shock mounting locations were never designed to carry the weight of the car. The air bags are concentric with the springs and apply load to the same brackets as the springs, so the factory load path is preserved. Then get good gas shocks.
x2
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I would suggest that you lose the air shocks and install Air Lift bags inside the coil springs. The shock mounting locations were never designed to carry the weight of the car. The air bags are concentric with the springs and apply load to the same brackets as the springs, so the factory load path is preserved. THEN get good gas shocks.

X2..........I have them on both the '70 and my '92 they work well, inexpensive, simplicity...
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:01 PM

How much would an airbag kit for the rear run me?
Old March 13th, 2011, 07:01 PM

I ordered mine from hear not sure if these would fit a Vista but these guys had the best price and free shipping

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....564&x=114&y=16
Old March 13th, 2011, 08:13 PM

I solved my problem by downsizing my front wheels to 14 inch wheels, and leaving the 15's in the rear. I'm going to ditch the air shocks and put normal gas charged shocks back in their place for now. I think I'll look in to an air ride kit for it later on though when I have enough money to re-do almost all of the suspension.
Old March 13th, 2011, 10:16 PM

Air bags are only $85 and easy install they come with individual shrieder valves so you can adjust independently or you could by a t-fitting to keep them with the same air pressure
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Lalo442
Air bags are only $85 and easy install they come with individual shrieder valves so you can adjust independently or you could by a t-fitting to keep them with the same air pressure
I got mine new in the box (but previously owned) on ebay for about half of that.
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM

Even better I like my air bags and especially if out cruising with friends in the back seat can always pump in a few more pounds ... for Us big guys ....:-)