Used Jeep GC Steering Box question

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2014, 05:17 PM

Used Jeep GC Steering Box question

I have installed a used Jeep GC Steering Box in my 66, using the stock pump and put in the nice Red ATF for fluid. I burped the system and everything seemed fine. When I fired it up, I have no power assist at all. All i know about the Jeep box is that it is used and hasn't been rebuilt. The PS worked fine (almost too easy) with the stock steering box. Looking for guidance on where I should look first..... could the fluid be too thin for the Jeep Box?
Old March 31st, 2014, 05:28 PM
Justin

Did you bleed the system ? Does the power steering pump Whiney now ?
Old March 31st, 2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by oldstata
Did you bleed the system ? Does the power steering pump Whiney now ?
No whine, just no power assist. I did turn the wheel from lock to lock quite a few times before starting it up.
Old March 31st, 2014, 05:47 PM
Justin

I have not done the swap yet but I have searched a ton on this swap some if what I have read says that they needed the newer style pump for it to work correctly while others have stated that they simply bolted on and it was good to go.

Maybe some one that has done this with similar problems might chime in
Old March 31st, 2014, 06:22 PM

I did the swap with no problems. Mine is a 68. Not sure if the 66 is the same. I used the kit from Lee power steering, it has a insert so the factory hoses will fit with it. Maybe you are getting air in the line?

Craig
Old March 31st, 2014, 06:43 PM

From my research you need to use the fitting from a 70 and up power steering pump. I believe the fitting will change the pressure in your system and the JGC box need the higher pressure of the newer cars. Mine was a 70 and I didn't need to change anything. If you get the fitting off a 80's olds pump you can use the metric thread hose that matches the pump and not need the adapters from Lee.
Old March 31st, 2014, 09:14 PM

I am using the Lee adapters. No leaks. Could it be the 66 pump does not put out enough pressure?
Old April 1st, 2014, 02:51 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by RandyS
Could it be the 66 pump does not put out enough pressure?
I sincerely doubt it. The lower pressure pump should just provide less assist, which would only be noticed as increased effort while parallel parking.

It sounds like you've done everything right, but there is definitely something wrong.

One begins to wonder whether something strange has happened, like a line is restricted somehow.

The Chassis Service Manual would tell you to put a pressure gauge on it and read the pressure. Since nobody has one, I would think that the next step would be to remove the low pressure line and replace it with a piece of PCV hose, direct it into a bucket and crank the starter (with the coil wire off ), and look to see if you've got a healthy flow of fluid. If not, the next thing would be to remove the pressure side and see if it flows.

The first thing I wonder about is whether through a manufacturing fluke one of the Lee adapters didn't get a hole drilled through it.

The next thing is whether the used box didn't pick up an obstruction, such as a piece of crud or an insect nest.

Very, very strange.

Keep us posted.

- Eric
Old April 1st, 2014, 08:06 AM

I bought a remanufactured Jeep GC box at Pep Boys for about $150

Craig
Old April 1st, 2014, 09:15 AM
Ben

Just so you know- the JGC box is SUPPOSED to be stiffer. Not quite like not having power- but stiff like a modern car.

You dont need a different pump, and you don't need to change the relief spring in the back of the pump either.

If it really has no power assist, there must be something wrong with the box or the lines.

Those boxes are now 15-20 years old- some of the vehicles they came out of are 200k+ miles.

The JGC swap was a good one back around around 2000-2002 when the boxes were less than 10 years old and you could find wrecked cars in the junkyard with 40-50k miles on them.

Spend a little money on a good box and you'll be a lot happier and not scratching your head where the problem is.
Old April 1st, 2014, 09:19 AM
Ben

Just re-read your post. Is there a reason you are running ATF instead of regular PS fluid?
Old April 1st, 2014, 09:55 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Two observations:

1.) I installed a junkyard JGC box a couple of years ago, and it works great, with no appreciable wear or slop.

2.) ATF is commonly used and recommended for all GM power steering and hydroboost applications, as well at those of many other makes, and has been for decades.
Some years it seems that GM recommended it explicitly, other years not, but the equipment didn't t change.

I am using NAPA P/S fluid in my JGC conversion, myself, because Jeep called for that in 1997 when the steering box was made, but I sincerely doubt it makes any difference.

- Eric

Last edited by MDchanic; April 1st, 2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old April 1st, 2014, 10:56 AM

Just got done making a huge mess on the garage floor...........lol. The ATF flowed smoothly and easily out of the return hose while cranking the engine. Added more juice but still no assist. Guess I have to bite the bullet and get a reman box.
Thanks.
Old April 1st, 2014, 11:05 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That is REALLY weird.

- Eric
Old April 1st, 2014, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
That is REALLY weird.

- Eric
Nah, that's how my luck runs.......... get stung once in a while trying to save a buck or two...........
Old April 1st, 2014, 11:18 AM

I bought a LARS rebuilt box for my car, got it through Rockauto. Its 10.1 ratio. The guy from LARS says it has IROC internals. I havnt tried it yet, should steer quick, maybe too quick. We will see.....

Steve
Old April 1st, 2014, 11:18 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

But these boxes are darned near bulletproof.

... And "no boost at all" is just a weird failure mode.

- Eric
Old April 1st, 2014, 11:44 AM

http://lee-powersteering.com/
These guys will rebuild it to spec. I don't know what they charge but the did good work for me. I had the Olds shaft put in the Jeep box so I could use the stock rag joint.

Craig
Old April 1st, 2014, 02:57 PM

But these boxes are darned near bulletproof.

... And "no boost at all" is just a weird failure mode.

- Eric
I just bought a reman one from the Zone. Had to paint it to match my front steering components. (I probably would have painted it anyway, but they did a really crappy job when they painted it black) Once I get it installed I'm going to tear in to the used one to see if I can figure out what is causing it to not function. If I can fix it, I will keep it for the Black Car that I am doing a resto on.
Old April 1st, 2014, 04:27 PM

Let us know how this comes out. Like Eric I have been scratching my head over this one. I have the JGC box on my car but haven't tried it out yet. Just a footnote: I rebuilt one of those things back in the day. Fired the car up and the steering zipped lock to lock to the right Last steering box I ever messed with
Old April 4th, 2014, 01:13 PM

The weirdness continues.......... yesterday I installed the reman Jeep GC box. Made a big ole mess.............. worked the air out of the system, fired it up and it worked - great!! I was smiling, although there was more slop in it than I think it should have (about 2 - 3"). Dinked around with the motor a bit, checking for leaks, admiring my handywork..........smiling....., let it warm up to operating temp (160 deg) then shut it off. About an hour later I started the motor again and NO POWER ASSIST - WTF??? I thought it may have a bit more air in the system, so I jacked up the front end and started to work the steering wheel back & forth. PS fluid started to shoot out of the top of the reservoir (cap is vented). What would cause that?
Old April 4th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I haven't had that happen on a GM car, but I recall that a '63 T-bird would reliably shoot P/S fluid out the vent hole if you turned the wheels hard with the engine off.

- Eric
Old April 4th, 2014, 04:39 PM

My bet is on getting the system air free and equalized. Don't be scared. Fire it up with the car on jack stands and turn lock to lock repeatedly. When all the air is out of the system you may have too much fluid in the reservoir and it will push out the top of the reservoir. Once the air is out and the fluid level equalizes with the fluid hot all should be good.
Old April 5th, 2014, 11:55 AM

I started the car this morning and ran the steering wheel from lock to lock till my arms started to ache, tried different speeds, different idle speed, even took it for a drive - still no joy. Swapped out pumps to see if that may be the problem, repeated as above, and still no assist. The only thing I haven't tried is heavier fluid. Is that worth a try, or should I return the box to the Zone and get another one?

Last edited by RandyS; April 5th, 2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old April 5th, 2014, 02:10 PM
72 Olds CS

Two boxes, no assist, maybe it's not the box? Two pumps, no assist maybe it's not the pump?

New lines ?
Old April 5th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Curiouser and curiouser.

- Eric
Old April 5th, 2014, 02:50 PM

I'm gonna be the dumb guy and ask the dumb question: You tightened the pump pulley, right?
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Ha ha. Good point, Seff. And tightened the belts correctly, I suppose...

- Eric
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:10 PM

I did the same damn thing with my own box swap, trying to find a leak.

"Oh joy, no leak... wait, it isn't hooked up..."
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:58 PM

The pulley has a keyway, and yes, I tightened it. Assembled just like it came apart, the only diff is I changed from a 1966 Saginaw box to a 1997 Saginaw box. The 1966 box worked perfect (albeit too much assist). Unless I stumbled across 2 bad Jeep boxes...........The only other variable I can see is the juice?
Old April 5th, 2014, 06:41 PM

Wow Randy! At this point you would be able to hear me scream 2 states away. I can tell you that I used Dextron II fluid,in mine. Drove it for the first time today and all went well. Sounds like you have covered all bases but are the pressure and return hoses free of restrictions, kinks etc?
Old April 5th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So what do you think, Sampson? Feel better than before?

- Eric
Old April 5th, 2014, 07:26 PM

So what do you think, Sampson? Feel better than before?

- Eric
Scratching my head Eric.........like you said earlier Really Weird! A good primal yell does help sometimes though........
Old April 5th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

No, I mean your car - you just drove it for the first time with a new JGC box, no?

- Eric
Old April 5th, 2014, 08:08 PM

No, I mean your car - you just drove it for the first time with a new JGC box, no?

- Eric
Yes but it was a very short drive. To early to give an opinion other than it seemed much more responsive and quicker..... Maybe tomorrow we can get up to highway speeds and give a better critique.
Old April 6th, 2014, 01:48 AM

My experience is that it takes more effort, but is a LOT tighter. At 80 MPH, lane changes are no longer a scary undertaking.
Old April 6th, 2014, 06:12 AM
72 Olds CS

When I first put a new rebuilt box in mine the steering was tight and had a poor return to center for about 300 miles or so. After that it RTC very nice and feels more like my late model truck than the original p steering which is a good thing
Old April 11th, 2014, 03:08 PM

I ordered new PS hoses from Rock Auto. Got them today, installed them and it made no difference, still no assist at all. I picked up another reman Jeep box from Auto Zone the other day, since they are a PITA to change out, would you folks suggest I try a heavier PS fluid, or changing out the box?

Last edited by RandyS; April 11th, 2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

This has nothing to do with your power steering fluid.

I have no idea what is causing it, but I feel very confident that whatever it is, it is depressingly simple.

- Eric
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:24 PM

I go back to 2 pumps/2boxes same result. Something is not right. Have you contacted Lee engineering? They came up with this swap. Like Eric, I think this has a simple answer, although perplexing..........I am still anxiously waiting to hear what is up.

Quick Reply: Used Jeep GC Steering Box question