Suspension advice.

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2010, 08:55 AM

Suspension advice.

I am wanting to "level" things up on my '73 and am not sure of the best route to go with that. You can see in my profile pic that the Cutty sags just a bit in the back (that's the stock stance of my grandma grocery getter). It's even worse with a full tank of gas and 3 kids or two adults in the back. As you see it in my profile pic is how it is today and how it has been since she rolled off the dealers lot. I'm not sure of the best way to do this. First off, I won't even consider those slip in rubber things! So the question is....Air shocks or taller springs? Air shocks are prone to leakage and generally a PITA! And I've seen 3 inch taller springs on the internet and even places that will make custom height springs, but here's another thing to consider......I'm wanting to remain as stock as possible and am going to upgrade the current steel blank rims with caps to 14X7 SSIII's with some nice white letter tires. If I upgrade the rims with something that was a factory option and in conjunction raise the rear profile of the car......will it look stupid with a 14X7 rim? Like there is a big empty gap in the back? Going with a 15X7 rim in the back is not an option here. So what do you guys suggest? I'm open to options, but I realize that my options are limited. I just want it to look factory original.
Old January 28th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Easy Does It!

Well for the 73 cutty,you are looking at about a 1" gap between the fender and tire for a correct factory look,if you raise the car without a bigger tires then yes it will look stupid in mho, what you wanna do is go with a stiffer spring and shock,so that the car does not sag too much when loaded.
Old January 28th, 2010, 06:43 PM

After so many years, the old springs start sagging.

Consider some stock heavy duty Moog replacement springs. Also, there some variable rate rear springs ("cargo coils") to handle extra weight.
There are several good rear coil selection threads here. The coils are very easy to change out from what I have read.
I will be making a rear suspension replacement thread later this spring, when my new springs go on.
I have air shocks, but they will be changed to Bilsteins.
Old February 1st, 2010, 09:02 AM

After much research I have decided to replace the rear springs with Moog HD springs. Haven't decided on a shock choice yet. I'll do the rear first and then the front with a Moog standard spring.