Rebuilding front suspension on '66 Toro...

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2011, 10:04 PM

Rebuilding front suspension on '66 Toro...

I'm planning on buying a drum to disc conversion kit for my '66 Toronado from Kanter, and I figured that since I was going to have everything there appart anyway, I might as well replace the suspension parts. But then, I started looking for parts, and their prices...

Why are the Moog Lower control arm bushings $75 a pair?!? It's a piece of rubber between two steel rings for crying out loud... Is there a less rediculous option I'm not seeing? The uppers are only $25...

I found new balljoints as well on Autozone, but they're $130+ each as well. I don't know that mine are bad yet, but was going to replace them as rule of thumb, seeing as they are very likely the original ones. I now think I'm going to be a little more scrupulous about that decision...

Stabilizer bar connectors were easy, and nice and cheep to find on Fusick. Seems pretty straightforward.

And, lastly, how much can I replace before I need an alignment afterwards? I plan on getting one down the line a few months, once I get some new tires, but I was hoping to drive it around and have some fun with the old ones for a little while first. No sense shredding good rubber

It looks like I can replace everything on the upper control arm without problem, but the lower has that torsion bar on it, and I just don't know anything about that system. Seems pretty straightforward though. My service manual says I have to remove the drive axle for the lower... that doesn't make sense to me, I never did that on my Fiero...

Last edited by Twilight Fenrir; May 6th, 2011 at 10:07 PM.