knee action shock repair 52 Super 88

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2011 | 11:01 AM
Resident Alien from Pod31

knee action shock repair 52 Super 88

I've been hunting down a front suspension issue which creates a big knock coming from the driver's side. I believe it is the knee action shock.

Last night I refilled it with ATF...tried to cycle the shock a few times, but it freezes in its top most position...it takes a bit to get free and makes a knock sound. It will then somewhat move down, and I can hear the fluid, but then it will become totally free (no resistance as it's moving down), then on the way back up freeze again. I noticed some fluid coming from one of the mounting bolts...so possibly it leaked out that gasket there and was driven too long without oil and now the inner mechanisms on the shock are toast? I'm not sure, but want to see if I can get it open and maybe clean, or reposition some parts that may have been messed up by working dry, or maybe it's shot altogether....

Possibly try the STP method after replacing that gasket? But it really seems like something inside will still need to be fixed or repositioned....a spring has binded, or some pieces have moved, become damaged or out of sequence?

Any info would be much appreciated....gonna try and get into the shock housing tonight, and hope to find a solution other than paying $200 and waiting 4 weeks...