Differential bushings

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:34 AM

Differential bushings

Can someone advise on the proper way to install the rear upper control arm bushings on the differential. In the chassis manual I have it looks like they should be installed from the diferential side and it seems like they hit the top of the differential keeping them from entering straight which is necessary for proper installation. As I am seeing it, it looks like they will end up in the same position if i install entering on the outside and pressing them into the pumpkin. I did purchase some aftermarket arms and the bushings supplied have a small flange rolled over on the edge making them possibly a bit larger at that point than the originals. Does it matter which way they are put in?
Your advice is appreciated.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:43 AM

Mike, not sure what year you are working on, but I just did the bushings on my 69 o type rear, I went with stock rubber bushings and they go from the outside in, they are tapered, basically I cleaned the ear well, applied some lubricant, then set the bushing in the ear, placed a big block of wood over it and used a BF hammer. popped right in,
here is my thread on that
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ant-today.html

you do need to be careful and not strike the ear but they did go in fairly easy. hope it helps bud.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:06 AM

The car is a 65 cutlass. In the manual the breakdown pic shows the bushing going in from front to back. Also is the gear lash from foward to reverse adjustable without rebuilding the rear? I have about 1 32nd to a 16th of movement from forward to reverse when I move the wheel hub by hand. The results of the 130k of wear.
Thanks for the pronpt reply Eddie.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:52 PM

Mike, first let me warn you my total experience with back lash is ONE rebuild, LOL... I have not worked on a 65, but every thing I ever found about replacing the upper bushings on my 69 and a lot of other type a bodies show them going in from the outside in, or from back to front

here is a pic before I changed the bushing, you can see the large side of the bushing on the outside of the diff

as for backlash, I do not think you can check your backlash by simply pushing back and forth on the yoke, this may give you an indication, but I do believe you will need to pull the cover and set up a dial indicator to be sure, as far as adjustment goes I don't think so, but more knowledgeable guys will chime in.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 01:45 PM

Eddie--Thanks for the picture. I just could not remember how they were originally installed and although I documented a lot as I was disassembling I could not find any notes or pics of the bushings. As for the gear lash--it is obviously worn and I recall reading somewhere that this was adjustable but it may need shims.