Control arm question guys?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Dee

Control arm question guys?!?!?!?!?

I did a search on an oem aftermarket match and found nothing, i need to replace my bushings and with the qotes im getting from repair shops its probably cheaper to replace the whole arms atleast I think so not sure tho lmk your thoughts......
Old June 13th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Hangin' out...

Sometimes it's cheaper to replace the whole assembly, but you should investigate further. Moog bushings are pretty inexpensive and good quality OEM replacement. Usually made in the USA. What kind of car?
Old June 13th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Dee

I would rather change whole thing but not finding anywhere that sells them new oe replacement.....
Old June 13th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Dee

i found some on opgi web site.....
Old June 13th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Why change the whole arm when the only thing wrong is that the bushings are worn?

- Eric
Old June 13th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Dee

im getting $200 quotes from repair shops sucks to be me for not being a do it yourselfer and thats for jus bushings the control arm comes with bushing and ball jont for cheaper.....

Last edited by IZAOLDS; June 13th, 2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old June 13th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I just put new upper control arm bushings in my Delta last week - I bought a full set of black polyurethane Energy Suspension bushings (uppers and lowers, 8 total) from "Auto Shepherd" for $56, including shipping, "rented" an upper control arm bushing tool for free from Advance Auto Parts, and did each side in less than an hour, by just pulling off the uppers at the pivot shaft-to-frame attachments and rotating them around to the outside at the ball joint to get work room (of course, I discovered that both of my front springs were broken in the process and had to replace them as well, but that, as they say, is another story).

Replacing lower control arm bushings is a bit more involved, since it involves messing with the springs (I avoided doing mine, for the time being, but plan to get back to them "one day"), but I "rented" an internal spring compressor to change my springs as part of this "evolving" front-end job, and it really wouldn't have been a huge deal to have done the lower bushings, if I hadn't been in a hurry (it would have been easier, if all I had to do was hold the springs, then put them back and release them, rather than hold the old ones, decompress them, re-compress the new ones, and install them from scratch).

My point, which I may have wandered away from, is that you should be able to do all eight control arm bushings for less than a C-note, in your choice of polyurethane or rubber, with a bit of elbow grease, hence my question of why change the arms if they're still good?

- Eric
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:06 PM

Come join me in some hammer-swingin', ball joint-bustin', bushing-beating fun!!!!
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...end-job-2.html

Of if thats not for you, buy the Moog parts at rockauto and take the arms and parts to a mom and pop shop and just pay them to replace em.
I would trust original (good condition) American steel arms to chinesium any day.
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:23 PM

i found some on opgi web site.....
I got a pair of those for my Cutlass. They worked out well and are almost exact matches for the originals. In fact I have yet to get an alignment, but there is no pull and I haven't noticed any odd tire wear either.

Why change the whole arm when the only thing wrong is that the bushings are worn?
I have to agree with you on this, Eric. My original LCA's were all screwed up (wrong ball joints welded in, cracks, etc., etc.) so I had no choice. I'm still learning how to do this stuff, but my advice is to follow Rob's work. It'll be like (even better than) new and a lot lower cost than replacing the whole LCA.

-Mark