71 Cutlass Rear Suspension bottoming out when loaded

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2012, 12:20 AM

71 Cutlass Rear Suspension bottoming out when loaded

Hello all!

I have a 1971 Cutlass S. I installed the complete Hotchkis 1" lowering TVS suspension package. The issue im experiencing is when I put 2 or more people in the back seat or even worse 2 people plus cargo in the trunk, the car bottoms out A LOT. It bottoms out going over the slightest hump or bump in the road and is VERY annoying... I recently purchased a set of Moog cc501s to help with the issue, but I am hesitant to install them as I am thinking that the suspensions components are supposed to work well as a package I might mess something up and also not be able to return the springs to SUMMIT... I like the way the car handles with only ME in it, but as soon as 1, 2, 3 or even worse 4 more people get in its a NIGHTMARE. I was thinkin of getting the Hotchkis rear airbag setup http://www.hotchkis.net/rear_air_bag_kit.html however I dont think this will fix the issue once I put an extra 400/500lbs of people/luggage. I am also planning on putting 335/35/17s in the rear to help with the handling and wouldnt mind it so much if the rear were to be raised up around 1.5" because I think I would like the look, it would launch better etc... Im just concerned that if I put the MOOG springs in there It might ride like crap, look funny and handle even worse! Any help or experience with this would be greatly appreciated

P.S. I managed to fit 275/40/17s in the front, have a quick ratio steering box, car is set up Pro Touring and handles AMAZING at high speed and would like to keep it that way. Thanx in advance!

Last edited by Jayycobb; August 16th, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old August 16th, 2012, 08:27 AM

66 views and no replies
Old August 16th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

What can I say?

You lowered the car. Now it bottoms out.

The factory designed the suspension to carry the rated load.
The aftermarket suppliers you used may not have done that.

It's all a matter of priorities.

I have no first-hand knowledge of these suspension "upgrades," but you wanted answers, so...

- Eric
Old August 16th, 2012, 08:35 AM

Thank you Eric! Yes I appreciate it

Priority#1 is to make the car not bottom out when loaded.

Priority #2 is to keep the cars handling amazing without making it worse by putting stock springs on it, is there something in between, HELP???!
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:02 AM

A good friend of mine did this with his Buick Skylark. He has the same issue. The problem as I see it is with the suspension upgrade you no longer have the travel you did with the stock set up. That's why it bottoms out so easily. I'm not sure the airbags would help. They might though. Then the problem would be that the ride would be really stiff with no give in the suspension. Good luck, let us know if you work it out.
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Administrator

That is usually the issue one runs into when lowering a car! You can change out the springs with a larger rod diameter, heavier load rating, but not increase the length. However that will change the ride charactoristics you currently have.

Airbags will help for when your car is loaded, you can install a compressor and adjust pressure as needed. This is probably the best route!

You can also call the manufacturer of your suspension kit and see what they suggest!
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:44 AM

I think the air bag setup is something I dont want to do, since I am not happy with the way the rear is right now.

Here are the specs of the 3 options:

Stock= 107lb/in

Hotchkis= 124-159 lb/in

Moog cc501= 175 lb/in

As of right now, I think the car is a little too stiff in the rear going over bumps. I live in the city and the car sees a lot of potholes etc...

If I put the Moogs in, how bad will the handling be if I were to still put 335/35/17 back there? I just want to know that I dont have to put air in my suspension or worry about loading the car, just dont want to think about it or worry about it anymore...
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:54 AM
car guy

What exactly is hitting? My 66 was very low and never had any problem bottoming out even loaded up. I used Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks.
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Administrator

What are the rest of the dimmensions of whats on there now? Bar diameter, install height, free height, load rating?

I'm going through a similar scenario with my Cutlass but on the front, I want to raise mine.

So I've been using this chart:

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...il_Springs.asp
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:51 AM
72 Olds CS

What about a 1" or so spacer on the rear spring, you would maintain most of the ride qualities but raise the rear for less bottoming (assuming the springs dont bind up)

something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Caddy-Olds...b3b1c3&vxp=mtr
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:54 AM

The airbags in the springs are a good option if you set up so you can adjust on the fly, like Oldcutlass said. These are also used to decrease wheel hop. You could also look into variable rate springs. These are a little more expensive, but will help the bottoming issue. The springs get stiffer when you load them heavily, but for small movement, they are a little looser. This way, your ride is not so harsh. One old race trick to stiffen the rear is fill the springs with tennis *****.

Tom
Old August 16th, 2012, 06:59 PM

Thank you guys for the replies. I decided to go with the Moog springs, I figured that I dont want to pay extra money for an air management system and I dont want to go to a gas station to fill up my suspension EVERY time I want to put people in my car. If I dont have such great handling I think the 335s Im planning to put on the car will make up for it.
Old August 16th, 2012, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
What are the rest of the dimmensions of whats on there now? Bar diameter, install height, free height, load rating?

I'm going through a similar scenario with my Cutlass but on the front, I want to raise mine.

So I've been using this chart:

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...il_Springs.asp

The driveshaft sounds like its bottoming in the trans and the rear axle is bottoming on the frame. It sounds TERRRRIBLE, like serious driveline SHOCK. I am planning on setting my pinion angle a little lower to compensate for this. Would you recommend putting a person in the back seat or sandbags while I do this adjustment? Ive got the adjustable upper rear arms...
Old August 16th, 2012, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
What about a 1" or so spacer on the rear spring, you would maintain most of the ride qualities but raise the rear for less bottoming (assuming the springs dont bind up)

something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Caddy-Olds...b3b1c3&vxp=mtr

I dont wanna risk binding plus the springs are just gonna be stiff as hell. Also how do these sit up into the upper spring perch? I dont see anything hollowed on the outside of the blocks...
Old August 17th, 2012, 05:04 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by Jayycobb
I dont wanna risk binding plus the springs are just gonna be stiff as hell. Also how do these sit up into the upper spring perch? I dont see anything hollowed on the outside of the blocks...

I have never used these IDK anything about them. they would maintain most ride qualities that you wanted. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to try.

I have MOOG HDs all around on my car w 1.25" fr sw bar and 1" rr sway bar car handles mucho better than stock. No bottoming but the heaviest person i have in the back is my son @40lbs
Old August 18th, 2012, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
I have never used these IDK anything about them. they would maintain most ride qualities that you wanted. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to try.

I have MOOG HDs all around on my car w 1.25" fr sw bar and 1" rr sway bar car handles mucho better than stock. No bottoming but the heaviest person i have in the back is my son @40lbs
So I installed these last night and they did raise the car up a bit, I went over a few bumps with people in my car and am still experiencing SOME bottoming out over Larger potholes with 2 people in the back seat, but definitely a lot better than before, it doesnt seem like the bump stop though, I think the pinion angle has something to do with the noise/clunk... I will be taking it to an alignment shop today to see what it could be, all in all I like the MOOG cc501s, they are more comfortable and still handle well compared to the hotchkis 1" drop springs.