71 cutlass front suspension

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2013, 09:32 PM

71 cutlass front suspension

Ok so I am building a 71 cutlass and I want to rebuild the front suspension. My problem is there is so many options out there and I don't know what my best option is. I would like to fix the camber and castor problems but I don't want to spend a fortune to do it. When I started this I just had plans to put in a quick ratio power steering box, replace the springs, change the bushing and replace the tie rod ends. after doing research I found out about the camber and castor problem. Now I'm thinking that I should replace the A arms and maybe find taller spindles. I also have plans for a new sway bar. So as you all know there are all sorts of options out there and I'm looking for some advice. I would like to get the best steering performance I can for as little as possible. So any advice would be appreciated.
Old June 14th, 2013, 05:59 AM

Frankly, the only thing you can do is set your budget and then expend up to that.

First is maintenance - are all the links and bushings in good shape? If not, there's a pile.

The steering box will make a huge difference - that vague center is not a great idea anymore. I'd do that next.

Then sway bars. The rear will require arms or modifications.
If you have funds left over you can start looking at the various control arm setups and what they do.

You can easily spend from $500 to $5000 doing this.

Also be wary about the tall spindles. The generic ones with a drop are not necessarily a great idea. The AFX and L&H ones have a lot of design and test invested in them.
Old June 14th, 2013, 06:28 AM

Umi has a tall balljoint a arm set up Scandc.com sells umi and other stuff, good site to check out . I like umi they build inhouse and are in the good old usa. good luck
Old June 14th, 2013, 06:55 AM
delete

It all depends on how far you want to go. I went with a 1 1/8" front bar with eurathane bushings, a quicker ratio stock style steering box, a stock rear sway bar with boxed contriol arms and a slightly smaller diameter steering wheel. Nothing extreme. Don't forget about tires because that is where it all meets the road. When I got the car the previous owner did new Moog springs and KYB shocks. The shocks aren't as progressive as I'd like. It all added up to make a nice difference, with the steering box making the biggest difference.