65 442 air bags

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2021, 11:05 AM
Mln

65 442 air bags

looking to install air ride in a 65 442 looking for anybody who has done it and what product is best to use
Old January 21st, 2021, 11:31 AM

You really need to add some more info. What are your goals? (cool cruiser, suspension set up to handle corners, etc) What is your budget? What is your ability set? If you just want the car to look cool and ride smooth, generic bags and shocks will get you there. If you are looking for great handling, i would recommend ride tech shockwaves and at least front lower tubular control arms along with larger sway bars etc. As for air management, you can go as simple as a single compressor, tank, and 2 manual paddle valves. Depending on the compressor, it will take a long time to recover. Only having 1 valve for the front and one for the back gives limited adjustability. Or you can go with a full air management system from ride tech, air lift, or accuair. Accuiar went out of business a few months ago, but the company has recently been purchased by Arrnot and products are supposedly coming back into production this year. I am running single adjustable ridetech shockwaves on the front of my vista cruiser and bags with single adjustable QA1 shocks in the rear (shockwaves would not fit in the back in the original shock location due to the third seat well) along with an accuair CVT and e level system.

Here is a shot of the car:

The accuair CVT is expensive, but includes the tank, compressor, and valves all in one unit. It also builds to 200 psi faster than the 2 480C compressors I previously had and they only went to 150 psi

Last edited by Loaded68W34; January 21st, 2021 at 11:33 AM.
Old January 21st, 2021, 07:20 PM
Mln

first thanks for replying great looking car you have. what i am looking for in a air ride is a 3 position self leveling unit . it does not have to be fast but ease to install. this car will be a cruiser not a drag or a rally
Old January 22nd, 2021, 07:03 AM

Sounds link generic bags and shocks will work fine. You will have to cut out some room around the front spring pockets on the bottom side of the frame. You can make your own bag brackets or buy a kit. If you are looking to save money, I would buy a cheap set of valves and 2 480C compressors along with a 5 gallon tank. Many people will probably tell you to run 3/8" air lines to your bags. I prefer 1/4" lines because it will give you more control over fine tuning your height adjustments. As for a 3 height management system, Air lift is supposed to be pretty good (I have never used their systems so I can't really comment). I would recommend Accuair despite the business issues I discussed earlier. I used my vista as a daily driver for over 3 years (drove everyday unless it was snowing or there was salt on the roads) and never really had any issues. My brother has a ride tech management system on his nova and there are a few reasons I don't like it (I can explain if you are interested). For ease of use, I would try to find the rocker switch version of an accuair e-level management system. You can set it for ride height on start and toggle between your presets from there. This is the system I am running on the wagon. Here is a shot from when it was my daily driver before I completely re-did it.

Old January 22nd, 2021, 08:04 AM

When I first read the post heading, I thought you meant crash air bags not air suspension.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 07:38 PM
Mln

thanks you gave me a great head start. I belive it my turn to do the legwork. if a the other guys are like you this is going to be a great site.
Old January 23rd, 2021, 05:03 AM

Great looking Vista!!!