freeze plugs?

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2008, 11:29 AM

freeze plugs?

Hello .I pulled an engine from storage and I noticed that one of the freeze plugs was rusted out.Motor turns by hand and is out of the car.What is the procedure to repair?Thanks.
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:00 PM

just pop the old plugs out and go to the auto parts store and get new ones to put back in. its kind of a pain in the *** if they are all rusty and stuck in there. you can get them out with a screwdriver and hammer. just work it back and forth from side to side . new ones just pound back in with a rubber mallet.
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the reply .Iwas wondering about if I had to flush it incase there was rust debris in the block?
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wagonman
Thanks for the reply .Iwas wondering about if I had to flush it incase there was rust debris in the block?
I wouldn't worry about it, though I would replace ALLthe freeze plugs with brass while the engine is out.
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:49 PM

Thanks.
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:09 PM

yes definently replace them all, its like 8 bucks i think for the bag at the store, use a hammer and punch and hammer on one side to see if you can rotate the plug in place and pull it out with some pliers. If you accidently knock one into your engine, dont worry, just use a big screwdriver and your fingers to get it back to the hole, and grip it pretty tightly with some pliers and pull it out. you might want to use a little black rtv on the new plugs just to be safe. good luck
Old March 6th, 2008, 04:37 PM

freeze plug problem please help

i have a freeze plug question i have a 73 442 with the left side freeze plug missing i have bought the new one and was wondering how i would put it in with the motor still in the car theres not much room for swinging a mallot and ive tried to pull the exhaust header off but thats not goin to well i was hoping to not hav to do that if there is anyone that can help me with this problem that would be really helpful.
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Hmm.....
Jack it up and take a wheel off maybe? At least you'll have a straight look at what you are messing with.

Sounds like a royal pain.
Old March 7th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1973cutlass442
i have a freeze plug question i have a 73 442 with the left side freeze plug missing i have bought the new one and was wondering how i would put it in with the motor still in the car theres not much room for swinging a mallot and ive tried to pull the exhaust header off but thats not goin to well i was hoping to not hav to do that if there is anyone that can help me with this problem that would be really helpful.
This is often a problem. There is a rubber expanding freeze plug available that you can press in by hand and then tighten with a wrench. Not the preferred solution but an expedient way around the clearance problem.