What do i need to install autometer gauges?

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Easy Does It!

What do i need to install autometer gauges?

Hey guys im going to replace my 70 cutlass oem gauges with some used autometer ones for fuel,oil,temp,volts,tach,speedo with autometer gauges, my questions is, can i use all the wires and senders that are already on the factory gauges and engine or do i need to buy all the accesories to make the autometer gauges work? the reason why i ask is that the autometer gauges dont really come with the tubing,and senders.
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:28 PM

I would just leave the oem gauges in. Add a new triple gauge set volt, oil pressure, and temp. It wouldn't be much more for the new set. Since the old set needs install kit. Buy a new set that comes with it. Than just add tach either on the column or in place of the clock. If you check out peoples albums on here you will find pics of the inside of people cars. You can see how they have there's set up.
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:53 PM

First are these gauges mechanical or electircal?
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Easy Does It!

re

Well. the reason why I want autometer gauges is because I don't like the originals and they don't really work plus I'm going for the race look. And I wana seperate gauges for everything. So will the oem sending units work on autometer gauges? - don't wanna get new because I can get a full set used including speedo and tach for $200 ultra lite model vs 500 new so that's why I ask.
Old January 16th, 2010, 11:20 PM

Your going to have to change the sensors for the oil, and temp if you still have the idiot lights hooked up. You can get a set of gauges with oil,temp,volt for about $30 at your local parts store with everything you need. If your speedo isn't working you might need to clean or change the cable that goes to the tranny.
Old January 16th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Easy Does It!

Well my gauges do work,but they jump a lot and I just want some nice autometer gauges, I don't care for the originals and I don't want them anymore, would I be able to wire an autometer tach and speedo using the wiring on the original gauges?
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:15 AM

You need to find out what the sweep is for the voltage on both the stock and autometer gauges to properly answer your question.
I know they make fuel gauges to work with the stock senders so that shouldn't be an issue.
Now when you pull your old junk gauges out you can just send them to me. I'll even pay postage.
Old January 17th, 2010, 07:22 AM

We are all wondering if you have factory gauges or idiot lights in your car Most came with idiot lights and as Randy said, if your changing out "factory guagues" people will line up to take them off your hands
Old January 17th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Registered

If it's gauges I raise the bid to 50 bucks and I'll pay for the shipping and packaging.

If you go the the Autometer site it shows what you need and how to do it if the gauges aren't too old.
Old January 17th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Easy Does It!

re

Thanks for the offer guys, they are actuall gagues and they work, what I don't have is a tach instead a clock looking gauge with no needle, ill be posting u¶ the complete gauge assembly once I hook things up,bidding will start at $300 and they came off a cutlass supreme,I also have the complete ac system with ac contols in working good condition, for another 300
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:15 PM

If I was you I would hold onto all the things your taking off. If you keep the car or don't wreck it. One day down the road you may want put all these things back on the car, and you will have to pay a lot more than what your selling stuff for to replace them. Plus taking the ac off the car and changing the gauge won't make your car go any faster. Just worth less.
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Easy Does It!

re

Well I don't plan of rstoring this car at all,sadly this all original holiday supreme will never ever be original again, the only things I will keep original is the old faded paint and trim on the car,as far as keeping these original things. For when I wanna sell it is not an option either because I won't sell it as an original,somewhere down the road I will drop in an ls1 with a t56 so originality will not ever be there again. Any takers on the interior let me know,it is dark brown.
Old January 18th, 2010, 01:58 AM

For the oil gauge you can "T" the sending unit with the stock oil sensor for the idiot light.

Volt gauge, hook up to an ingtion wire, done

Temp gauge. Personally I love the mechinal gauges for this. It's a probe and will come with all the adapters to place right in the manifold. USE TEFLON TAPE ON FITTINGS or you'll have a leak

Fuel, never changed a fuel gauge, sorry

Tach. There is a prong on the distburor cap marked TACH if it's HEI. If it's points. The sending wire goes to the neg termial on the coil

Speedo, never hooked one of these up either. There is some calibrations that need to be done with it. Might work with the stock calbe, but it doesn't sound like your stock cable's working
Old January 18th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Easy Does It!

Originally Posted by Redog
For the oil gauge you can "T" the sending unit with the stock oil sensor for the idiot light.

Volt gauge, hook up to an ingtion wire, done

Temp gauge. Personally I love the mechinal gauges for this. It's a probe and will come with all the adapters to place right in the manifold. USE TEFLON TAPE ON FITTINGS or you'll have a leak

Fuel, never changed a fuel gauge, sorry

Tach. There is a prong on the distburor cap marked TACH if it's HEI. If it's points. The sending wire goes to the neg termial on the coil

Speedo, never hooked one of these up either. There is some calibrations that need to be done with it. Might work with the stock calbe, but it doesn't sound like your stock cable's working

thanks for the great answers, its always good to hear good new.the gauges i have work they are just a little jumpy,but yeah i guess ill get on it, As far as a HEI what do you recommend and where can i get it,the engine is stock but ill probably add heads,cam,port etc in the future?
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:07 AM

If you have a 70 350 than you already have #6 heads. All they need is a little work maybe bigger valves. Cam all depends on how you want build your car. Race, or mild street. Keep in mind changing to a larger cam depending on size is going to require changing gears in the rear end and using tq conv. with a higher stall speed. Than changing carb and intake to match the power band of the new cam.
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:17 AM

For the speedo needle jumping, try removing the cable, clean it well, and reinstall it.
If it is kinked or bent, replace it.
I cleaned mine with good results:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalb...7602930020786/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalb...7602930020786/
If that does not fix it, then the guage itself might need repair.
Old January 19th, 2010, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kidcutty
thanks for the great answers, its always good to hear good new.the gauges i have work they are just a little jumpy,but yeah i guess ill get on it, As far as a HEI what do you recommend and where can i get it,the engine is stock but ill probably add heads,cam,port etc in the future?
You can buy an HEI distributor at http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-850006/ which are around 160 bucks or you can buy an used for around 50 at a junk yard. I have also heard of people buying them on Ebay of pretty cheap, but I don't trust Ebay.