350 Vacuum routing?

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2017, 03:36 PM

350 Vacuum routing?

Need help with proper vacuum routing for my application. The stock intake was swapped for an Edelbrock Performer. The QJet is a hot air choke 4BBl setup. With changing out the manifold and no longer using my TCS solenoid, need some help in figuring out what should go where and if my current setup is causing some of the headaches I'm experiencing.

After a top-half rebuild, was working on getting the engine running again. Upgraded stock points to an MSD and it was running really smooth but then it started running really rough and getting bluish white smoke from the exhaust. While I try and tackle those issues along with a leaking output shaft seal, I wanted to address this vacuum routing as well.

Currently, since I nixed the TCS solenoid, I'm running distributor advance directly to the port on the bottom of the carb. As the stock setup had the TVS tree at the front of the intake (3 ports) running from trans vacuum and the full manifold vacuum on the intake runner, I tried to mirror that but not sure if that's correct. As the TCS has been eliminated the top two ports of the TVS tree are capped and not being used but should they be? I don't have any brake boosters to worry about and it's very minimalistic as shown in the pics but could this incorrect routing be attributing to my rough engine issues?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2808.jpg (2.80 MB, 26 views)
IMG_2809.jpg (2.13 MB, 23 views)
IMG_2810.jpg (2.43 MB, 22 views)
Old October 23rd, 2017, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Remove the TVS completely and put a hex plug in the manifold. Run a vacuum line from the manifold vacuum port of the carb to distributor.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Remove the TVS completely and put a hex plug in the manifold. Run a vacuum line from the manifold vacuum port of the carb to distributor.
Thanks Eric, I’ll do that. For the tranny line, which is currently being bisected by that TVS tree, keep that line connected to the same port on the intake runner?
Old October 23rd, 2017, 06:34 PM
Administrator

I prefer the distributor running off the carbs manifold vacuum port. The transmission line can stay off the manifold.