1966 - 330 - Leaking gas

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2017, 04:16 PM

Question 1966 - 330 - Leaking gas

First start of the season, and something is wrong. I fully disclosed my newbie status in my intro post but I still feel some shame for asking this question. I want to have this fixed locally, but when 'shopping' for a good mechanics, I need some basic vocabulary. First, some text to explain, then some pictures to show. I appreciate any help.

Starting the car for the first time after almost 6 months parked in the garage for the winter. Started in about 4-5 seconds. Yeah!

Moved the car out of the garage, wait a little (enjoying the feeling!) then popped the hood open. Disaster, something is leaking gas!

In the pictures below, I added 3 red arrows to show where is comes from. It only comes from one location, mostly when I give a little gas, and I can't see exactly from where. It literally quirts. In the picture, you can see the liquid in the green circle.

My question: (again... shame... very little knowledge)
-What is that part called? If you want to give more info about that part (what it does, how to change it, etc) go ahead and I will be really happy, but the name is what I am looking for the most. Once you guys help me with at least a name, I will start reading about it. I may end up having it done (likely), or do it myself.

Gas squirting from one of the 3 location indicated by the red arrows. Green circle shows gas that leaked... What is that part called? Help a newbie.

Different angle. Hard to see, but to give an idea where this is located.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old April 27th, 2017, 04:27 PM

The part you are pointing to, looks like the temp sending unit. No gas goes there. TO me it looks like the fuel line is running over the top of it,and it must have a leak, and dripping on the sender, and looks like it is coming from it.
Old April 27th, 2017, 04:58 PM
Olds Fever

IMO your gas line is leaking... Most likely it was rubbing against the sending unit and is almost worn through enough to cause a small leak which will only get worse over time...
Old April 27th, 2017, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by 442Harv
The part you are pointing to, looks like the temp sending unit.
I am really a newb. I knew it looks like a sending unit (of some sort), but I really thought the squirt came from there, so I assumed I was wrong thinking it was a sending unit.

Originally Posted by 442Harv
TO me it looks like the fuel line is running over the top of it,and it must have a leak, and dripping on the sender, and looks like it is coming from it.
Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
IMO your gas line is leaking... Most likely it was rubbing against the sending unit and is almost worn through enough to cause a small leak which will only get worse over time...
Thank you for the help. I just spent the last 30 minutes trying to recreate the issue. I can't. Not a drip / squirt. Nothing. Does the prognosis stay the same (is it still a leaking gas line)? Wouldn't keep doing it? Could it be something else related to the fact that the engine was running for the first time in 6 months?

Regardless, if this is to get worse over time, or even if it does not get worse but is a re-occurring issue, it needs to be fixed. I need to read and learn about this.
Old April 27th, 2017, 05:49 PM
Rocket Renegade!

That might be a pretty easy fix. If there's enough hose, you can trim it back behind the leaky area and re-attach. If not, a replacement hose can be had for cheap at NAPA.
Old April 27th, 2017, 05:59 PM

Just some info for you: that temperature sensor is for a mechanical gauge and is a Bourdon tube. It is a sealed length of tubing with a gas in it (not gasoline, think argon, nitrogen, etc kind of gas) that changes pressure with temperature and causes the needle on the gauge to move.If you need to remove the sensor, be sure to use two wrenches and hold the larger, outer brass fitting in place while you turn the smaller, inner fitting until it comes out. Once it is out, the tubing sender will be loose and you can remove the larger fitting if necessary. If you turn the larger outer fitting first, the inner fitting that holds the tubing firmly in place will twist around until the tubing breaks and the gas will leak out and your gauge will be ruined. I learned this the hard was back in the 80s.

Last edited by Fun71; April 27th, 2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old April 27th, 2017, 07:29 PM
Administrator

You should not have to remove the temp sender unless its leaking coolant. I would loosen the 2 clamps and remove the short piece of hose that runs from the fuel pump to the steel line it's connected to. Hand carry it to the auto parts store and tell the smiling person at the counter you want a length of fuel injection hose plus some new clamps to replace the hose you took off your car. Then reinstall the new hose on your car.
Old April 27th, 2017, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You should not have to remove the temp sender unless its leaking coolant.
Yeah, I wasn't really clear about that. I didn't mean it needed to be removed; I just wanted to point out that the Bourdon tube is fragile and can be broken if not treated nicely.
Old April 28th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Olds Fever

Route the fuel hose so it is not in contact with other engine parts where it can cause a problem...
Old May 11th, 2017, 02:47 AM
car nut farmer

Fuel line should NOT be fit over the coil on the metal fuel line. That'll make one hell of a fire
Old May 11th, 2017, 05:06 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The line from the fuel pump to the carburetor should not be rubber. It should be steel.

I know that we've all done that before without a problem, but I recall at least one member here who lost a car that way a couple of years ago.

Especially for a guy who doesn't even know what a fuel line is, the best idea is to replace the incorrect rubber hose with a steel line.
I would get a new proper steel line for your model from Inline Tube or another supplier, and install that (or have it installed), or even have a copper line bent up for it.

- Eric
Old May 11th, 2017, 05:29 AM
Administrator

I think there is an aftermarket carb installed which is why the line is rubber.
Old May 11th, 2017, 05:32 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Ah. Could be.

- Eric
Old May 11th, 2017, 08:36 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I think there is an aftermarket carb installed which is why the line is rubber.
True, and that being said, with a little tube bending skills a metal tube could have been fabricated... But, as projects go, many of us, myself included have taken the simpler route to complete a task, thus the rubber hose...
Old May 11th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Administrator

I use fuel injection hose and route it carefully. I and others have used rubber hose on aftermarket carbs for 40+ years with no issues. Everyone has their pet peeves...
Old May 11th, 2017, 09:21 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I've used hose in the past, too, including on a Porsche 911 with a electric fuel pump, going through several tees, to four different inlets on two carburetors, without a problem, but I've got a fairly keen eye, and do watch everything. As I said, others have been less fortunate, and I would be concerned about what could happen to someone with little mechanical experience.

- Eric
Old May 11th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Administrator

One word, INSURANCE
Old September 23rd, 2017, 12:52 PM

Late is better than never... I want to report back that I could not replicate the issue at all. Used the car all summer without the issue being observed again.

Thanks to all who took time to provide help. Much appreciated.