yet another fuel question .

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

yet another fuel question .

Ok so today i waas running my car in the shop and it seemed to smell pig rich. I pulled all 8 plugs out and to my surprise they where golden tan. Im currently running bp 93 and i think their additive package might make it smell nasty. I normally run the off brand., usually the local marathon station 93 as they usually have less additives. Could this be it or am i missing the picture here .
Old March 19th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Ok so today i waas running my car in the shop and it seemed to smell pig rich. I pulled all 8 plugs out and to my surprise they where golden tan. Im currently running bp 93 and i think their additive package might make it smell nasty. I normally run the off brand., usually the local marathon station 93 as they usually have less additives. Could this be it or am i missing the picture here .
Yup you're missing the picture!

In general, a light tan/gray color tells you that the spark plug is operating at optimum temperature and that the engine is in good condition.

With that said, sounds a bit like you may have gotten some old gas, a problem if buying 93 octane which does not sell like the 87 octane stuff. Ethanol containing gasoline starts going downhill in to what is known as phase separation within 14 days and after that it can start smelling pretty rank if not having received a shot of something like LUCAS fuel treatment with the Ethanol displayed prominently on the label. Don't you just love it!
Old March 20th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Well the thing is I have had fuel in my fuel cell sit for over 4 months and it not got bad. My compression is right around 10 to 1 so I would know if it went bad right away.