Washington Olds Machinists/Engine Builders Shop

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2011, 11:47 AM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

Washington Olds Machinists/Engine Builders Shop

I'm getting ready to get my original numbers matching engine rebuilt for my 1968 Olds Cutlass S, and was wondering if anyone has direct experience with any quality and reputable machinists/engine builders in Washington that have experience building Olds engines. I've searched various websites and have seen the following shops that have been listed, but I don't know of anyone with an Olds that has used them. Before I start calling around, I figured I would reach out and see if I could get some recommendations.

DG Machine in Auburn
Britco Racing Engines in Centralia
Auto Truck Service in Everett
Honest Performance in Federal Way
Cope Brothers in Tacoma
Block Head Machine in Seattle
Strange Transmission (Mike and Will Strange) in Spanaway

Also, if there are any other shops/builders I haven't listed, please let me know. Since this will be the first time I have ever had an engine rebuilt, I am hoping to eliminate any mistakes up front, so more questions will be forthcoming looking for advice from the experts on this site.
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Randy C.

Hi Jeff,
I don't have direct experience with them but I do have direct connections with a shop that uses Britco in Centralia and the shop stands by Britco's work. They've been using Britco for several years now.

Randy
Old August 26th, 2011, 04:07 PM

Try C & D Engine Performance in Kirkland, WA. They just finished the work on my 455 for the 48 Olds. They came highly recommended from Olds enthusiasts that I know. Chuck has a good background in Olds engines. Has the bore plates, etc, for correct rebuilding. He knows the performance parts industry very well too

Give him a call at 425 821 7172 to discuss you build and stop by and see his shop. Great guy to deal with and will answer any of your questions

http://www.cdengines.com/

Pat
Old August 26th, 2011, 04:36 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

Thanks Pat, I'll reach out to them.
Old September 20th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Registered car nut

I used DG and I like Dale but he was slow and caters to racers not backyard guys. Asked for the cam to be degree'd and it was not.
I just took it instead of waiting months for it to get done.
Old September 20th, 2011, 08:42 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

Based on feedback from others, I've narrowed it down to Britco Racing Engines in Centralia, C&D Engine Performance in Kirkland, and Auto TruckService in Everett. I'm just waiting on the final quote from C&D, and then I will make my decision on who to go with.
Old September 20th, 2011, 08:51 PM

Strange Transmission is a great honest outfit, they diagnosed and repaired my Muncie 4 speed and were extremely fair and Mike (dad and Will (son) are good people. Check out Mike's Olds.
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:47 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

Yes, I talked with Will, but this build was something they referred me to Bow Tie Performance, and I felt they were not the best fit for me. I saw Mike and Will at the South Sound Olds Show, and if I need any transmission work, I would definitely use them.
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:02 AM
Ben

Auto Truck has done a lot of peice meal work for some of my friends- very good recommendations.

Brad @ Xact machine in bothell has done about 5 SBC stroker motors for my neighbor. Not mild builds either- He's a very thorough guy & caught a few parts problems that I'd bet most other shops would have let slide..

If I were paying someone to build mine, I'd take it to him.