Vacuum Leak or Normal noise?

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2012, 06:13 PM

Vacuum Leak or Normal noise?

I just installed an Edelbrock 1406 in my '71 Cutlass using a stock 4bbl intake and an Edelbrock air cleaner.

Car seems to run just fine, but I hear an air-sucking noise while driving - particularly under acceleration in 1st gear. The noise seems to disipate through 2nd and 3rd, unless I'm pushing the throttle a bit (like going uphill for instance). In nuetral, there's no funny noise when I goose the throttle.

I'm thinking the car would run lousy if I had a serious vacuum leak, right? Or should I be looking for a leak? How come I only hear this weird air noise when I'm driving - and not when I rev the engine in nuetral?

This is my first "open" air cleaner. So, is the noise I'm hearing normal, as it's drawing in a lot more air than my old 2 bbl air cleaner would?

Anyone else experienced noticing this noise when you switched to an open air cleaner?
Old April 21st, 2012, 06:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Gee, not sure. Have you tried putting a stock air cleaner on and running it to see if the noise is still there? I don't have an open air cleaner on my car but I'd guess that it would make more noise without the metal baffling.
Old April 21st, 2012, 06:18 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That's why factory air cleaners have those funny-shaped snorkels - to act as mufflers so you can't hear the sound of the carburetor sucking air.

Sounds normal to me.

- Eric
Old April 21st, 2012, 06:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
... factory air cleaners have snorkels - to act as mufflers so you can't hear the sound of the carburetor sucking air. - Eric
Hmmm, maybe they should make those mandatory equipment for the politicians...
Old April 21st, 2012, 06:30 PM

Yeah... I don't have another air cleaner to try - as the 2bbl won't fit. I was thinking of cutting some aluminum stock to encircle the filter - sort of create a closed air cleaner just to see what would happen. But I'm thinking that might starve the carb of air.

Maybe I'll give it a try - nothing to lose. The noise just bugs me because it sounds like something is "wrong"!
Old April 21st, 2012, 06:33 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hmmm, maybe they should make those mandatory equipment for the politicians...
They would need mufflers, resonators, and catalytic converters to convert the toxic stench to something that is good for the air.

- Eric
Old April 21st, 2012, 07:25 PM

I've got a 1406 on my car, and I can't say I notice an "air sucking noise" Do you have a spacer on top of the carb that the air cleaner rests on? Does it sit flush? If not, maybe the air cleaner is not sitting right.

Can you hear the noise if you rev the motor in park? If so, about if you take the air cleaner off. Does the sound get worse? If not, maybe take a short drive down the block with the air cleaner off, see if it gets worse or louder.

Last edited by jpc647; April 21st, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old April 21st, 2012, 09:58 PM
Banned

Check for vacuum leaks, sounds like something needs a vacuum line plug.

Can you post pictures or video?
Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Just double check that the unused vacuum ports on the carb are plugged or capped. If the engine is running smooth, and performs well, I bet its normal.