Toronado Crank Triggered Ignition

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2015, 08:51 AM

Toronado Crank Triggered Ignition

I am pretty sure this is 1977 only, Toronado 403 only

A member writes:
Originally Posted by gmcaprala
Ok, now I’m confused again, so, the 1977 403 was the ONLY one with crank triggered ign? I read 77-79’s all had them. I was under the assumption that ALL 77-79 TORONADO ONLY 403’s had them. Mine [1978 Toro] has the under glovebox computer in the car, that is linked to 2 sensors (apparently engine temp and what else I’m not quite sure yet) that are required for the special dist. My dist. has no vacuum advance, or ign advance, it’s more like a computer controlled post-1981 gm dist. than a pre-1981 thats mech. is this a crank driven dist?
Interesting. Anyone else have a Toro [or anything] other than 1977 model year with Crank Triggered Ignition?

gmcaprala, your CTI dist'r serves only to distribute the spark [and run the oil pump] as far as I know. The spark is triggered by the toothed wheel between balancer and crank pulley. the EXACT timing of the spark is then set by the voodoo within that "computer" box near the car's glovebox- which I hear is more of an analog circuit using engine speed [presumably], MAP [engine Manifold Absolute Pressure], and engine temp, to establish advance at any given time.

Anyone else who can add to the CTI [Crank Triggered Ignition] info, chime in.
Old September 12th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Haven't we had this discussion before? Oh yeah, we did:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...oro-403-a.html

MISAR was only installed on the 1977-78 Toronado 403s.
Old September 12th, 2015, 11:27 AM

I’m at the conclusion now that I will be bypassing the MISAR system. I want nothing to do with this overdone, seemingly for nothing, impossible to find parts for, 40-year-old crap. Am I safe in assuming that a Olds 350 HEI will accomplish what I’m looking to do? Thanks to everyone for the help!
Old September 12th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gmcaprala
I’m at the conclusion now that I will be bypassing the MISAR system. I want nothing to do with this overdone, seemingly for nothing, impossible to find parts for, 40-year-old crap. Am I safe in assuming that a Olds 350 HEI will accomplish what I’m looking to do? Thanks to everyone for the help!
The MISAR system was crank-triggered. The "distributor" on those cars was simply a rotary switch. Yes, you can swap it for a HEI distributor. Don't throw away the MISAR parts, however. They are rare and very cool. The crank pickup parts are particularly sought after.

By the way, I'll point out that HEI technology is ten years older than your "40-year-old crap".