Things to Consider, 350 build

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2010, 12:11 PM

Lightbulb Things to Consider, 350 build

Ok, I'm starting at step 1 here, about a year ago I had my 73 cutlass stolen and the only thing I had left was this 350 block and heads. So, I figured since I'm starting from the ground up, it would be a good time to ask the questions and get going in the right direction. I'm listing quite a bit here but am by no means sold on any of the ideas yet, that's why I'm asking you guys first. Here's what I have to work with:

350 block (all info points to the 68-72 year, but the far left serial number starts with a 33M) It's bored .30 over right now

7a heads, looks to be stock for the most part, maybe at best mild port matching

stock cast crank

seems to be stock connecting rods

speed pro flat top pistons

and a decently nice harmonic balancer

I'm not starting with much I know, but want to get off on the right foot. I have a good(condition wise) cam but have no idea what the specs are on it, no idea how to find out. This engine was rebuilt when I got it and to me seemed to be a mismatch because it just felt flat when it comes to the seat of the pants feeling. I'm trying to find out before I put this thing back together, how strong the stock connecting rods are, what will they tolerate in terms of RPM's and TQ/HP?

When it comes to puting the rest on the engine together I was trying to figure out what a good match would be for carb/ intake/ cam would be. Kind of leaning toward Edelbrock performer RPM stuff, but haven't heard all that great of stuff about the cam side of the house. My first choice would be to run a Q-jet but since I don't have one it makes it kind of difficult to do that, so would a 600-700cfm carb do the trick to match the #7111 intake?

I have no valvetrain either, so was wondering what anybody thought of the COMP 1441-kit offered at summitracing, if it would work or not, have heard from time to time that certain valvetrains don't do well in the Olds motors. For reliability I was considering a main gridle from DMR, and also adding the lifter bore and cam bearing restrictors to the engine since it's still disassembled, was also thinking oil pan baffle also.

In the future I plan to find a g body cutlass shell and so far want to lean toward a built 200r4 for the tranny if this is any help with other information. I have also considered getting the crank drilled now to accept a TKO-500 in the far future, not to sure about that yet though.

This is just a few thoughts I have right now, of course, we all know there are many more steps after all this is done. I thank anybody for taking the time to reply with advice in advance.
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:19 PM

I'm building a 72 350 too from my little experience edelbrocks intakes work good but you'll need a 2 inch spacer you use there crabs, lunati bracket master ii cam works great when I bought my kit a few years ago it came with lifters and springs, I'm installing the 1441-kit tomorrow so I can let you know how well it works by the weekend anything else just pm me an ill try to help
Old October 20th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Your car got stolen in New Phila? I am from Tuscarawas County and find that hard to believe. Good luck with your build though!
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Willidog
Your car got stolen in New Phila? I am from Tuscarawas County and find that hard to believe. Good luck with your build though!
Nah, I don't think that would of happen either, it happen in El Paso, Tx before I moved back to Ohio, lol
Old October 20th, 2010, 07:16 PM

Didn't you already do this post?
Old October 21st, 2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Didn't you already do this post?
Yep, but for some unknown reason, it appeared twice when I submitted it, no idea. I couldn't figure out how to delete one.