Steel bolts in aluminum heads

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2014, 03:07 AM
Rodney

Steel bolts in aluminum heads

OK guys, I am venturing into new territory (at least for me) and have decided to run aluminum heads on my new small block build. I got a good deal on some brand new, ProComp heads and an E-brock 7111 manifold, but I have some questions about installing the heads:
1. Does anyone use anti-seize grease on the spark plugs and header bolts to prevent galling and stripping the threads in the aluminum heads?
2. Do I need to reduce the intake and exhaust bolts torque settings for the aluminum heads or can I use the published values in the CSM?
3. Do I need to use a different head gasket because because of the thermal expansion difference between iron and aluminum? What is recommended?
Thanks

Rodney
Old November 21st, 2014, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by cdrod
OK guys, I am venturing into new territory (at least for me) and have decided to run aluminum heads on my new small block build. I got a good deal on some brand new, ProComp heads and an E-brock 7111 manifold, but I have some questions about installing the heads:
1. Does anyone use anti-seize grease on the spark plugs and header bolts to prevent galling and stripping the threads in the aluminum heads? Yes on both.
2. Do I need to reduce the intake and exhaust bolts torque settings for the aluminum heads or can I use the published values in the CSM? No but don't use the stock bolts, buy good ones.
3. Do I need to use a different head gasket because because of the thermal expansion difference between iron and aluminum? What is recommended? Yes, a multi layer steel is good i.e., Mr Gasket Ultra Seal or similar.
Thanks

Rodney

Thanks.