Starting issues and oil leaks

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2016, 11:49 AM

Starting issues and oil leaks

I am a new buyer also. My 1984 custom cruiser is leaking oil also. It came with a set of new valve cover gaskets but I don't think that is the problem. I am going to start with a piece of card board lying on the floor and work up form there. I am just hoping it is not the front seal.
Old April 10th, 2016, 06:03 AM

Hello Tommy, welcome to CO.

Couple things: You're better off starting a new thread as this one is several years old. Perhaps a moderator will move your post. I'd start by double checking the valve cover gaskets, oil filter etc. Working "bottom to top" is tough as the nature of gravity and liquid makes it very difficult to pin point a leak. How many miles are on your CC?

Best of luck,
Old April 18th, 2016, 05:38 AM

easy p

My 84 CC has the same problem only when it has sat for a while, if I pump the gas three or four times it starts right up.
Old April 18th, 2016, 07:01 AM

Pull off the air cleaner cover and take a look at the position of the plates on top of the carb for all the various conditions. Warm and cold, before and after firmly pressing the pedal to the floor once when cold. Things like that.

My choke isn't set right at the moment and I'm getting by using a crutch. One press of the pedal (cold) then depress the gas pedal about 10-15% to open the throttle a little. No pumping. Usually fire after 3 seconds. Hold the pedal for about 10 secs then ease off. Let her warm up as normal. Yeah yeah, I know. I'll get to it ... right after I get some of the rest of the honey do list put to bed.
Old April 18th, 2016, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, I moved your posts to your own thread. If you have an owners manual, read the section on how to start your car. For the oil leaks, you must follow them upstream. Place a sheet of cardboard on the ground and look above every spot or puddle.
Old April 25th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Gearhead in training

From owning two in the past year, I pump my pedal twice in the morning, maybe a third every once in a great while. And usually pump it once if ive been in the store awhile. When i got my first CC it started without pressing the pedal once for the first week, then all of a sudden one morning it was a different story. I thought it was the battey so i replaced that to no avail, then remembered my grandpa always pumping his old truck before starting it and it came straight to life. Just get used to giving it a good few pumps every morning like you have been, in my opinion. If theres a fix for it where you dont have to pump the gas its new info to me.
Old April 25th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Gearhead in training

Also, both my CC have a leak on the passenger valve cover in the back of the engine, right above the exhaust. You might want to take a look back there, mine burns off before it has a chance to even drip.