starter color

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2013, 02:16 PM

starter color

Hi guys and gals, I just cleaned my starter and was wondering what the original factory color was, before it turned a thick greasy black. Looks like there are traces of gold paint left over after cleaning.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old December 21st, 2013, 02:25 PM
Administrator

The housing is black, the solenoid is bare metal or silver, and the nose is a dull silver.
Old December 21st, 2013, 02:35 PM

End cap and field case are semigloss black. Some original solenoids were also black. I think it may be older solenoids were black and newer ones were silver. Not sure of date for the change. Nose is natural aluminium.
Old December 21st, 2013, 04:36 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

As far as the gold color goes, they generally have overspray on them but are not intentionally painted.

Remember, the guys doing the painting were not trying to emulate Michelangelo, just trying to lay some paint on the block in 30 seconds.

This video gives you a good idea of how they put these things together. You will see painting between 4:34 and 4:41.

- Eric
Old December 21st, 2013, 05:18 PM

Dude, I think that's about the coolest thing I've ever seen! Got any more of these things? There are some classic Olds commercials on youtube.
Old December 21st, 2013, 05:50 PM

I just finished my starter and used semi-gloss black on the motor section and cleared the aluminum nose housing. I bought an NOS Delco solenoid with an 82 instruction sheet date and it had the shiny housing. I noticed some overspray on the side of the starter, as you noted on yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PC076842-001.jpg (46.8 KB, 26 views)
PC096856-001.jpg (52.5 KB, 28 views)
Old December 21st, 2013, 06:48 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sorry, that video is not mine - it was originally posted on this site about 6 months ago by someone else (sorry, I don't recall who), but I found it to be an excellent illustration of how our cars were put together: no nonsense, fast, efficient.

Some tend to romanticize these cars, but they were mass produced consumer products designed to be used and then thrown away.

- Eric
Old December 21st, 2013, 08:03 PM

Looks great Brian and I've seen others on here with the black housing and shiny nose but won't that bare steel rust?

Eric, nothing wrong with fast and efficient. I really enjoyed the beginning, dangling the colored motors like precious jewels. My feelings, however, are more nostalgia than romance. It was the day my dad did a 180 in his '70 442 in front of our house, and in front of my high school buddies, that I realized he wasn't such a bad guy. The funny thing is, I think he just meant to peel out. That 455 had a little more power than he was used to.
Old December 21st, 2013, 08:26 PM

"2002 Intrigue GLS"

Brian, we're getting ready to retire our '98 Intrigue. It's been one of the best cars we've owned. But with over 260k miles, she's seen better days.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:50 AM

Thanks on the starter job, I enjoy doing the small detailing projects.

Yes, my Intrigue also has been one the best cars I've ever owned, so much so I couldn't bear to trade it in. It's worth way more to me than what you would get on a trade in. It only has 140,000km (87,000 miles) and looks and works like the day I bought it. It's also factory loaded with every option available. Perhaps a future show car. (not). I'll be keeping it until I can't get parts for it, especially if anything happens to the Olds exclusive 3.5 Shortstar. Thanks for the comments. Yours was the first of the Intrigues and mine was built six weeks before they shut down production in June of 2002.
Attached Images
P5160910.jpg (63.2 KB, 9 views)
HPIM3876.jpg (67.7 KB, 9 views)
Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:04 AM

I'm actually looking for another to replace this one, as long as it has the 3.8L engine. We gave ours to our daughter when she first got her licence. To be fair we just moved to the country and it was her first winter. She slid off a curve and side-swiped a deer crossing sign. I bought a replacement fender but thought I'd wait to see if she did it again. By that time the old girl was just done. Ac bearing going out, leaking brake fluid, EGR no good, etc, etc,. Not too pretty anymore, lol. Not like yours.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:39 PM
Justin

Hey Mac I have a good EGR for a 3.8 even a set if intake gaskets
Old December 23rd, 2013, 07:07 AM

Thanks oldstata but the EGR is just the tip of the iceberg. It has too many mechanical problems and is really starting to rust out. I do appreciate it though.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 09:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Been there

Done that

No the starter casing will not turn rusty. The casing was likely sprayed by a PO when they detailed the engine. While you have the starter out, you should replace the brushes, bushings and bendix. Sand out any carbon tracking on the commutator and rebuild the solenoid. It's not hard and you'll learn a lot about how it works.