Small plug in freezeplug kit

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2013, 08:38 AM

Question Small plug in freezeplug kit

Hi,its been a while since my last post,Ive been busy with my toy project. The question is where the small sheet metal plug in the plug kit is suppose to fit? It's about 1/2 inch in diameter.
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:36 AM

Sounds like the access hole to the holey plug in the rear of the LH oil passage.

Be sure to replace the holey plug during the rebuild, and NOT use an unholey plug, or no plug at all. Even if your plugs kit came with a nice pretty new one.
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
Sounds like the access hole to the holey plug in the rear of the LH oil passage.

Be sure to replace the holey plug during the rebuild, and NOT use an unholey plug, or no plug at all. Even if your plugs kit came with a nice pretty new one.
Thanks but,No it,s smaller than that one. Its only 19/32 inch dia.
Regards
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:13 PM

I dont think Pioneer put in this plug in the set if it's not suppose to fit somwere? No one know?
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:38 PM

Octania is right......

Looking at the rear(flywheel) of the engine, there should be 3 plugs .
The camshaft end plug(the big one), a NPT plug on the right of the cam, and the one to the left of the cam.

THAT'S where that plug goes, but be careful. There is ANOTHER plug BEHIND that press in plug that is also NPT and it has a 0.040" oil squirt hole in it to oil the dizzy gear. Don't fail to install that NPT holey plug or one with no hole. If you forget to install at all....little or no oil pressure.
If you install one with no hole....posssible burned up dizzy/cam gear(although there are arguments as to whether this hole is actually needed)

Make sure you put a little sealer on it to prevent an oil leak, and I like to stake it in place with a sharp chisel.

Hope this helps
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by gregvm
Octania is right......

Looking at the rear(flywheel) of the engine, there should be 3 plugs .
The camshaft end plug(the big one), a NPT plug on the right of the cam, and the one to the left of the cam.

THAT'S where that plug goes, but be careful. There is ANOTHER plug BEHIND that press in plug that is also NPT and it has a 0.040" oil squirt hole in it to oil the dizzy gear. Don't fail to install that NPT holey plug or one with no hole. If you forget to install at all....little or no oil pressure.
If you install one with no hole....posssible burned up dizzy/cam gear(although there are arguments as to whether this hole is actually needed)

Make sure you put a little sealer on it to prevent an oil leak, and I like to stake it in place with a sharp chisel.

Hope this helps
OK! I have installed the treaded (NPT) plug with the oil hole thats lube the distributor gear. I have sealed the block with a sheet metal plug about 3/4´size, on the outside of that. That´s clear for me. The other NPT, plug and the big camshaft plug also. I have one leftover sheet metal plug 19/32´and this one confuses me.

Best regards
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Oldwolf
OK! I have installed the treaded (NPT) plug with the oil hole thats lube the distributor gear. I have sealed the block with a sheet metal plug about 3/4´size, on the outside of that. That´s clear for me. The other NPT, plug and the big camshaft plug also. I have one leftover sheet metal plug 19/32´and this one confuses me.

Best regards
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:23 PM

Can't imagine where you'd put that extra one

what did you do with the two threaded plugs? Evidently you have at least two 'extra' parts in your kit.... the cup plug 19/32" and the 2nd threaded plug. This assumes you used one threaded plug in the aft end of the RH oil passage.

I am glad to hear that you did not put an unholey plug in the aft end of the LH oil passage.
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:36 PM

I had that plug left over also. I figured since I did not remove it, I did not need it. Thinking it over today, I wonder if it is used in the oil pump over the relief spring?
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:45 PM

certainly not

so, you have TWO threaded plugs in the photo that you did not use, right?

If the block is still more or less bare I would consider removing the RH aft plug and totally cleaning that passage.
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:53 PM

In the chassis manual exploded view of the oil pump a cup plug is shown between a retainer pin and the relief spring. Figure 3-73
Old January 13th, 2013, 09:42 AM

That cup on the oil pump is in there from the factory. If you didn't disassemble your pump, then no worries.

The freeze plug kits are for lots of applications, so there are extra bits.