SBO Performer RPM intake gasket?

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2014, 01:34 PM

SBO Performer RPM intake gasket?

Which gasket is everyone using (non turkey tray type) for the Edelbrock RPM 7111 intake manifold?
Old May 18th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

Im getting ready to install the same intake on a 350 and I use the Mr. gasket set and the rubber seal ends and never have a problem.
I tried just sealer on the ends and had leaks so I went back to what worked for me.
Old May 18th, 2014, 02:47 PM
72 Olds CS

Manny

Iirc edlebrock calls out a pn in the instructions for the rpm ( non turkey tray gasket) If you don't have them look on their www. I used a felpro turkey tray and silicone on the ends w no rubbers and had no leaks you need a nice bead on the ends to seal it like a 1/4-3/8".

If you go the turkey triay route test fit it and bend it slightly till it snaps into place on the locating pins, then silicone the water ports an go
Old May 18th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Beer Connoisseur

On my RPM I used mr gasket ultra seal and no rubber seal, just a nice bead of silicone. No leaks. Make sure you let it cure before starting the engine.
Old May 18th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Engine Builder

Here's a tech tip for everyone. When it comes to non turkey tray intake gaskets they are all of equal quality. Some have print-o-seal around them some do not. Use which ever one is cheapest (I've used them all with equal success). Put a very thin layer of silicone around each water port and put them in place. Then, even if your using rubber end rails, force a little silicone into the 4 corners where the head meets the block. If your gonna use the end rails then put them in place dry and force a little more silicone into the corners. If your gonna use silicone (my recommendation is black silicone adhesive from Permatex) Then put it on the end rails about 3/8 thick and let it stand for 5 or so minutes. Put the intake on and get one bolt (oiled) in it right away so the intake can't slide for/aft. Put the rest of the bolts in with oil and torque it to spec. (35ft/lbs). You should not have any leaks of any kind doing it this way.
Old May 19th, 2014, 08:59 AM

Now I'm curious, end seals or RTV? I've been using RTV, but would use the seals if acceptable.

I use the SCE 179101, and gaskacinch, with a thin film of RTV around the water ports, on the intake side only.

I was under the impression that if you don't use a turkey tray, you need to have the intake planed on the mating surfaces by .060 . Or you may/will have port mis-alignment?

Old May 19th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Administrator

You have been misinformed, it is not necessary to mill anything to us aftermarket gaskets. You need to use a thin layer of RTV on both sides of the gasket @ the water ports. I've always used the end seals with RTV @ the corners with no issues, just don't over torque the bolts. I also go back and retorque the intake bolts after a few heat cycles.
Old May 19th, 2014, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You have been misinformed, it is not necessary to mill anything to us aftermarket gaskets. You need to use a thin layer of RTV on both sides of the gasket @ the water ports. I've always used the end seals with RTV @ the corners with no issues, just don't over torque the bolts. I also go back and retorque the intake bolts after a few heat cycles.
Uhg. Well, it made sense to me, since the tray is like .012 thick, and gaskets are like .053 thick. The performer was milled, and had the RPM milled, no leaks, and the ports do line up. Wonder though if they actually were milled, or if just got charged for it!

I think last time I did use RTV on both sides of the water ports, honestly can't remember. Maybe it was the head side only I used it. (getting old can be frustrating!)

Old May 19th, 2014, 07:07 PM

I always used the Fel Pro 4 piece set (non-turkey tray) I also used the rubber gaskets. Just a little bit of RTV in the corners and tapped in a bit with the butt of a screwdriver and never had a leak. I don't remember using RTV on the water jackets, but think it might be a good idea. Correct me if I'm wrong, anybody
Old May 19th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Administrator

The Felpro 4 piece was for the SBO engine with the rectangular steel tray that bolts to the lifter galley area. The turkey tray won't clear it. They are steel gaskets minus the tray portion. They require rtv on the water ports also.
Old May 24th, 2014, 07:58 AM

So here's something worth mentioning. I had to pull the intake today, and when I did, there was coolant on the bolts that were next to the passages. Looking closer, I noticed that the gasket was soaked, and was seeping from the water passages. This was with the SCE gaskets, which are fiber, and they were pretty soaked.

Anyway, not going to use the SCE gaskets anymore, I'm switching to the Mr Gasket 405G gaskets, which are composite material. Hopefully they won't soak through.

Food for thought....

Old May 24th, 2014, 08:37 AM

Did u use rtv on both sides of the gaskets? Never had these type of issues with paper gaskets. I'm rtv happy though and use spray tack to keep the gaskets from moving. Plus u can use vasoline on the intake side for easy future removal of the intake. Little stock elim tip.
Old May 24th, 2014, 10:15 AM

Yup, both sides with RTV on the water passages, gaska-cinch on the rest.