Replacing the Carburetor

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2014, 09:08 AM

Replacing the Carburetor

Hey all,
I talked an old mechanic into putting on a new carb for me (no easy task) but he told me to buy the parts.

1980 Olds Cutlass Supreme - 3.6L V6 / M2ME carburetor.

I sourced out a new carb on ebay for about $160 and it comes with the gasket so I've got that covered. But my guy was talking about some extra stuff that I couldn't quite follow and I didn't want to bother him.
He mentioned something about a "new screen" that is "in there"? He was also talking about replacing the mixture solenoid because he was going to be in there anyway.

Does any of this make sense? If you guys can think of some no-brainer replacement/maintenance kind stuff to accomplish on while he is changing out the carb please share your thoughts.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by OldManTucker
Hey all,
I talked an old mechanic into putting on a new carb for me (no easy task) but he told me to buy the parts.

1980 Olds Cutlass Supreme - 3.6L V6 / M2ME carburetor.

I sourced out a new carb on ebay for about $160 and it comes with the gasket so I've got that covered. But my guy was talking about some extra stuff that I couldn't quite follow and I didn't want to bother him.
He mentioned something about a "new screen" that is "in there"? He was also talking about replacing the mixture solenoid because he was going to be in there anyway.

Does any of this make sense? If you guys can think of some no-brainer replacement/maintenance kind stuff to accomplish on while he is changing out the carb please share your thoughts.
First of all, you have a 3.8L V6, not a 3.6L. Second, the mixture control solenoid in the "new" carb should be new, so why replace it? Frankly, if the solenoid conducts electricity and isn't shorted, there isn't anything else that goes bad in it. Third, which "screen"? The fuel inlet filter? Again, a "new" carb should come with a new one. If he's talking about the EFE heater under the carb, that's a different issue.
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:22 AM

Yes, 3.8l (sorry for the typo). I can never get anything past you guys. LOL

And yes, he must have been talking about the EFE heater. My guy was rambling on when I was talking to him but what I gathered was that he likes to replace them when he does carburetors. He said that he has seen some that have blown screens. The EFE heater fits that description.

And yes again, I now understand that he was going on about all of the problems carbs can have. The MC solenoid (will be replaced in the new carb) as well as the accelerator pump (which is what he thinks is wrong).

Everything is clear now. I've been slowly learning about auto mechanic work and I wish I could try doing the carb myself but I do not have the experience and this seems like a big undertaking.

Last edited by OldManTucker; May 4th, 2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old May 4th, 2014, 12:38 PM
70 Cutlass SX

I would get him to write it all down for you to avoid confusion.