Removed broken dipstick tube...

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2011, 01:02 PM

Question Removed broken dipstick tube...

When it rains it pours. So I installed the original dipstick tube by cutting off about 1/2" of tube on the end so I had enough angle of the dangle to get it to the hole (pun intended) through the Sanderson shorty headers.

I got it installed but unfortunately it was bent/turned such a way where I could not get the dipstick out (when engine gets installed) without the brake booster/master cylinder being in the way.

So upon trying to readjust the tube, it snapped. So thanks to the fine people of this forum, I learned to use self tapping bolt to remove broken end of tube.

Now--with all that said. Is there a better dipstick/dipstick tube combo that works better with headers? I could probably buy another stock tube and modify to fit, but if there is something better or user friendly I would like to know what it is.

Thanks
d1
Old April 24th, 2011, 01:06 PM

i don't have any experience with headers and the dipstick tube but if its function you're looking for is it possible to head the tube to bend/route the tube where you need it then re-temper it? i had to do it to a spectre cheapo one and it worked great.
Old April 24th, 2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyTA
i don't have any experience with headers and the dipstick tube but if its function you're looking for is it possible to head the tube to bend/route the tube where you need it then re-temper it? i had to do it to a spectre cheapo one and it worked great.

Not sure how many times I will be able to heat and bend the tube before it crimps or breaks. It is worth a try if I can't find something soon. I am about ready to put this motor in and would hate to be held up due to a dipstick tube.
Old April 24th, 2011, 01:17 PM

i know the pain you feel..for my 330 it took 4 dipsticks! i was about ready to plug it and leave it LOL for the 350 i learned from the 330 and it was done with 1. which reminds me i don't even know what you're working with ha what motor is it?
Old April 24th, 2011, 01:35 PM

Sbo 350
Old April 30th, 2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyTA

Well, got a Mr Gasket chrome dipstick tube combo. It definitely needed to be shaped to fit. And they have to be heated and will not bend by hand like the factory one. I cut off about a half an inch, put 2 gradual bends below the lip. And a bend on the second bend of the tube, but in this case I bent it upward to clear the header flange.

The only thing thing was with the additional bends the cheap *** dipstick from Mr. Gasket did not want to feed thru to the bottom. So I used the original and it works like a charm. Maybe next time I leave the dipstick in while heating the tube??? Maybe that would help shape the dipstick as well.

I used high tack around the seal and it fit tight with no issues as I have read on other threads.

d1

Last edited by defiant1; April 30th, 2011 at 08:46 AM.