Radiator Fan

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2011 | 02:50 PM

Radiator Fan

Car: 1985 Oldsmobile Regency
My fan never worked, I didnt think it was bad until I told my dad, he said to stop using my car cause it can overheat my motor. So I stopped, now Im trynna see whats messing it up, cause I bought a brand new fan motor for it, and its still not working.
What do I do?
Help Please. Thanks
Old May 9th, 2011 | 03:55 PM

What do you mean your fan "never worked?" You mean you've been driving the car for the last 10 years with the fan not working, and now, because you just happened to mention to your dad that you didn't think it worked and he told you to stop driving it you're suddenly all concerned?

How do you know it doesn't work? If you have been driving it regularly without a problem, then it probably does work. Remember, on these more "modern" cars, there was a thermostat which controlled when and if the radiator fan went on. It wasn't on constantly like in the older cars. It only turned on when cooling was needed. That's why there's often a sticker right on the radiator by the fan saying to be careful because the fan could turn on at any time, even if the engine is off.

If you have only checked the fan when you first started the car, and if it has one of these thermostatically-controlled fans, then you probably would not see the fan turning because the engine would not have warmed up enough for the fan to be needed.

As I said, if you have been driving the car without a problem, then the fan might very well be working. If it wasn't, you would have experienced overheating by now.
Old May 9th, 2011 | 04:24 PM

I just bought these car last year, and I've been driving it like these.
I know it doesnt work because I left the car on for 1.5 hours and the engine got super hot and did not go on at all. Plus my car is till not "modern" because the thermostat does not turn it on or off, neither does it have that sticker.
And the car does have some problems, whenever I drive it feels like Im bearly pressing the break, but in reality Im not. So yeah?
Any suggestions?
Old May 9th, 2011 | 05:07 PM

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is a new thermostat for the fan. Also, I would try connecting the fan directly to the battery to make sure it actually works.