Questions about my 350

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2010, 12:06 AM
F-85 Cutlass Coupe owner

Questions about my 350

Hey guys

I have a 350 olds engine which I want to rebuild next year so Im out gathering intel now.

It has the Edelbrock Performer intake, 750 CFM Edelbrock Performer Carb, MSD Superconductor wires and a Mallory Unilite (I think).
Flowmaster exhaust with stock headers and 6 heads.

It runs really well and oil pressure is really good around 55 psi when cold and 40-45 psi when the engine is warm.

I don't know anything about the engine other than what I have found out by looking at cast numbers and such.

oldesen013.jpg

This is an old picture. I have changed the carb and the spark plug wires since. But as you can see the engine doesn't look good with the yellow colours, wires everywhere and such.

I want to take it a part, repaint it and upgrade any parts that could be better.

So what would be a good 350 setup? I want to run a high performance street machine.

Thanks guys!
Old September 4th, 2010, 06:21 AM

I would have the heads rebuilt and go with larger intake valves if it doesn't have them. You also can shave .030 off the heads to bumb compression a little without modifying intake. Fill the crossovers in the heads and smooth the AIR bumps in the exhaust ports. Buy good headers and have a free flowing exhaust made for it. If it has the stock deep dish pistons then go with less dish for more compression and go with a cam that will help utilize that. These things should seriously wake that engine up.
Old September 4th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I agree the yellow and all the wires everywhere does look kind of like crap. I would run a compression check before you pull the engine just to get and idea as to what shape it is in. As Olds425 suggested, the head work is a good idea. If you have no idea what the cam is, I would look at a new cam. One big thing you need to look at is rear gear ratio. If you still have highway gears, this is the first thing to change IMHO.
Old September 4th, 2010, 09:16 AM

When upping the compression in an older engine you will sometimes cause it to become an oil burner if the rings and the cylinder bores are worn. If you do the heads I suggest you do the whole thing
Old September 4th, 2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by olds425
I would have the heads rebuilt and go with larger intake valves if it doesn't have them. You also can shave .030 off the heads to bumb compression a little without modifying intake. Fill the crossovers in the heads and smooth the AIR bumps in the exhaust ports. Buy good headers and have a free flowing exhaust made for it. If it has the stock deep dish pistons then go with less dish for more compression and go with a cam that will help utilize that. These things should seriously wake that engine up.
IMO you can't make that statement, how do you know they haven't been cut already or that the intake dimensions are the same as every other one manufactured?

My point is don't do anything without checking it.
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:32 AM
F-85 Cutlass Coupe owner

Am gonna do a complete rebuild of the engine so I wanted to hear what you guys thought was a good setup. Is it worth it keeping the stock 6 heads and get them worked (if they haven't been already)? Or is the edelbrock heads worth the money?

Is there any advantage in upgrading the Mallory Unilite to some electrical MSD stuff?

I'm pretty green on V8s so help is very much appreciated even though its probably at the basics.

So far my plan is:
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
Edelbrock Performer 750 Carb
Hooker Headers

I need the rest and maybe even to take something off my list?

Keep in mind that I am located in Denmark and used Olds parts doesn't exist here. New stuff ought of the box is a lot easier for me to get a hold on.

Thanks again!
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:01 AM

If you want to build a high performance street machine like u said in your first post i think the best way is to go 362cui 0.68 overbore and smc 400 pistons 10,5-10,8 comp (since you run 95 octan) good head work with big valves and and nice cam,and dont forget your gears! you should be able to put out 350-370 hp quite easy and reliable! I think Cutlassefi did something like that before.Good luck whatever you do

PS if you have the 2-speed jetaway i would sell it and go with a th350 or even better with a 200-r4 trans.
Panos