Quadrajet problems (flooding)

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2013, 08:27 PM

Quadrajet problems (flooding)

OK I have a 350 olds with a 455 4v carb(7041251). So about 2 weeks ago I replaced my inline filter which is after the fuel pump as well as the internal filter. It started over flowing and and not letting any in at all. I took it apart and looked at it there was nothing blocking the needle seat or the float. I am going to replace the needle the seat and the float. Is there anything else that cause it to do that? Could it have too high of fuel pressure? The engine was rebuilt and the Carb was remaned both less than two years ago. Thank you in advance. Any input would great.
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:49 PM

Overflowing where?
Old January 5th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Dshelvy
It started over flowing and and not letting any in at all.
Did it do one of these and then the other, or both at the same time?

Piece of crud stuck between the needle and seat?

- Eric
Old January 5th, 2013, 06:04 PM

Yes pressure can be too high especially if you have an electric pump. If the carb was flooding out the vent I would not say it wasnt letting any in.
Old January 5th, 2013, 06:58 PM

Are you saying everything was ok until you changed the filter? If so then you accidentally changed something... maybe you knocked loose a piece of rust/corrosion? I wouldnt start taking things apart. Sometimes you can get it cleared out again. Or was this a problem that was happening b4 you changed the filter?
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:32 PM
morgan

Were both filters installed the correct way ...the ends of fuel filters are different because of the flow
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:01 PM

Try running the carburetor out of fuel and then restarting the engine. Occasionally, when the inline filter is changed as mentioned earlier a piece of debris e.g., rust, aluminum thread etc. gets broken loose and finds it way to the needle/seat area. If the fuel bowl is empty, when you crank the engine the fuel pump will push a large amount of fuel, in surges, to fill the bowl washing the debris past the needle/seat area. If it does not work, the needle, seat, float and filter should probably be replaced.
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:06 PM

No there wasn't any problems prior to changing the filter, a day after is when uit started over flowing from the carburetor. You could see fuel at the accelerator pump and every hole on the top of the Carborundums. Today i took it apart and made sure there was no debris in the bowl needle or seat i put it back together. No problems so far but that doesn't mean much because it went q week without doing it. No when the back two barrels open up it acts like its not getting enough gas. I bent the rear metering rod hangers i bent them back. Could that be culprit for that?
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Yes pressure can be too high especially if you have an electric pump. If the carb was flooding out the vent I would not say it wasnt letting any in.
No its mechanical but i read on here that some are faulty and put out to much pressure. If that was the case it would do it all the time correct?