Power steering pump reservoir - 64 Cutlass 330

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2013, 09:40 AM

Power steering pump reservoir - 64 Cutlass 330

Hi all - wanted to replace my power steering pump and seem to be having a reservoir removal issue. The only pumps I can locate online are W/O reservoir but my stock reservoir doesn't seem to budge at all. If there is something I need to be doing or buying/renting, please advise. I see that the other 64 A bodies offer pumps with or without reservoirs but not the Olds.

Any assistance is always welcomed and appreciated!

TS
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MrPorkchops
Hi all - wanted to replace my power steering pump and seem to be having a reservoir removal issue. The only pumps I can locate online are W/O reservoir but my stock reservoir doesn't seem to budge at all. If there is something I need to be doing or buying/renting, please advise. I see that the other 64 A bodies offer pumps with or without reservoirs but not the Olds.

Any assistance is always welcomed and appreciated!

TS
First, be sure you've removed ALL the fasteners on the backside of the reservoir. Be sure to note where the square cut O-rings go and don't loose the little spool valve and spring that will come flying out of the pressure port. The second problem is that there is an o-ring around the rim of the pump body that seals it to the reservoir. This o-ring gets hard over time and also sticks. You can try carefully running a feeler gauge or similar thin stock between the pump body and the reservoir to break the o-ring loose, but I've always resorted to tapping on the rim of the reservoir to get it off.
Old January 14th, 2013, 07:36 PM

I've got a 1964 pump I already sold the pully off of. I'd sell the rest for $15 plus shipping if you end up damaging your reservoir trying to get it apart.

John
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:00 AM

Thanks guys - I'll try one more time to do it clean and worse case I'll muscle it out and take 2blu442 up on his offer!