Popping through carb on heavy accel from stop

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2012, 10:11 AM
New 2 Olds

Popping through carb on heavy accel from stop

Just got my '83 Olds on the road for the summer, very happy. This has the 307 of course. I noticed that sometimes when revving it at idle, or now taking off from a stop, the car is sluggish and will pop (not a full backfire unless I really rev it)through the carb until I let off the gas and try again. Once it builds up speed, or in any other gear she's fine. I'm hoping it's something simple and not a burnt valve. I'm not sure but once warmed up it seemed to happen less.

Now- when I was working on it I spent a lot of time cleaning the block and hosing with water. I also had the carb off but didn't touch it, wondering if maybe it needs tightening down more. During the test drive I didn't have an air filter in it. Vacuum lines and EGR all seem fine and had no issues in any other gear or when getting on it up to speed (as if to pass). Timing wasn't touched and drive fine before I worked on it.
Old June 21st, 2012, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Perhaps you got water in the distributor. Take the cap off and dry it, then see if it clears up.
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:54 PM
New 2 Olds

Did some poking around and found one of the AIR tubes disconnected and the EGR seemed to have gotten stuck from sitting. Seems ok now thankfully. I'm going to take a look at the distrib inside anyway to see if everything is ok.
Old June 21st, 2012, 01:17 PM

I had what sounds to be the same problem,not a back fire more a popping under load.Seems if you have the original Carb Electric Control,the Primary feed to the rear barrels is not getting enough Fuel,hence starvation of fuel.My remedy was to rebuild the Carb,now alls well,sometimes when a car sits for awhile sedement clogs up the fuel passages in the Carb,also good chance there is water un the fuel system due to moisture.Just a thought.
Old June 21st, 2012, 03:27 PM
New 2 Olds

A carb rebuild is on my short list and I have a feeling that will solve it all. I already have a check engine light for the throttle position sensor and the car sometimes idles as low as 500-530rpm causing the oil pressure light to flicker. It stalled once coasting along today as the light flickered. On acceleration now there is no popping, but it's very weak, and sort of pulsates up to speed. Seems like it's all fuel delivery and idle leading me to the carb above all.

What is the idle specs for this car anyway?
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:24 PM

Had the same problem on my 84 delta replace the ignition control module under the distributor rotor. its a flat black box. The hot heat seems to kill them. Try replacing that first before rebuilding the carb like i did, Twice!
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:06 PM
New 2 Olds

Thankfully the oil was just low but I'm replacing the sender anyway. Putting some Mobil 1 in there next time, cost be damned. So nice to be driving a boat down the road again.

Will check on the module. It might even be that it was replaced before and the paste wasn't used. What were your symptoms 84oldsdelta88?