Pistons

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2016, 08:32 PM

Pistons

What is the benefit of hi comp pistons verses the stock ones? I want to be able to drive my car around town or on the freeway for long periods of time without having to worry about the car overheating. I know hi comp pistons raises the compression ratio but why bother if you can't enjoy it, just like when it left the factory.
Old September 1st, 2016, 08:42 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

No real issues. Can be around 9.5 to 1 compression or 10 to 1 with stock heads depending on specs and milling etc etc. Can be. More and less at the same time. I could go on and on and beat this dead horse. My 355 olds is 10 to 1 compression runs 12.60's and I drive it every where. Does not overheat and I drive it long periods of times at 3500 plus rpms. Just my experience. There are so many variables that you really need a game plan. What are your goals. You can use flat tops and be at 9 to 1 with newer heads like #8's and be safe for lower octane fuels. Just some food for thought. More compression means more power which means more cam more gear etc etc.
Old September 1st, 2016, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
No real issues. Can be around 9.5 to 1 compression or 10 to 1 with stock heads depending on specs and milling etc etc. Can be. More and less at the same time. I could go on and on and beat this dead horse. My 355 olds is 10 to 1 compression runs 12.60's and I drive it every where. Does not overheat and I drive it long periods of times at 3500 plus rpms. Just my experience. There are so many variables that you really need a game plan. What are your goals. You can use flat tops and be at 9 to 1 with newer heads like #8's and be safe for lower octane fuels. Just some food for thought. More compression means more power which means more cam more gear etc etc.
My goal is to accomplish around 325 horsepower. Am going to have the engine bored 0.30, maybe flat top heads, performer rpm intake my car already have a mild cam and qjet 4bbl. Yes, I want my car to run on lower octane gas. I'm sure the gears will be changed too to increase hp.
Old September 1st, 2016, 09:16 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

For a cruiser, stick to the LF2321 6CC forged dish pistons. With Felpro head gaskets that will put you around 9.2 to 1 vs your low 8 to 1 compression. You can then step up to something like the Lunati 217/221 cam vs the terrible stock cam . Step up to a 3.08 gear and mild converter, unless you want every **** box to blow your doors off.
Old September 1st, 2016, 09:19 PM
same but different

What is the benefit of high compression pistons? The answer is, more power throughout the engines entire rpm range.

Not just one part of it, like many speed parts enhance.

The key is building the right combination of parts around that with the proper tuning.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 05:07 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 72cutlassdog
What is the benefit of hi comp pistons verses the stock ones?
Benefits:
More power.
Better throttle response.
Better fuel economy.

Problems:
Increased oxide of nitrogen emissions.
Higher octane requirements.

... I want my car to run on lower octane gas.
Then you want lower compression pistons.

I'm sure the gears will be changed too to increase hp.
Changing the gears will not change your horsepower.

- Eric