olds 403 help!

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2010, 02:02 PM

olds 403 help!

i recently put a new edelbrock performer rpm intake manifold, edelbrock 600 carb and a summit HEI distributor on my 403. Now my problem is i had it running after everything was put together, but it was running kinda sluggish.. it didnt seem to have all of the power it should. my buddy and i looked at it after we took it out for a drive and we re-arranged the plug wires and it didnt want to start back up after we did that. And even worse i didnt remember where i had them the first time, so i couldnt even get it back running. i know the firing order, but i dont know where they go on the distributor cap. ive re-arranged them several times and it doesnt want to start at all, and im getting frustrated. i may have gotten something wrong when i replaced the distributor.. im not an expert by no means, but im learning haha. any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks
Old July 1st, 2010, 02:22 PM

This is simple. Turn the engine over by hand until the number one cylinder is on TDC. Remove the distributor cap and where the rotor is facing is number one. If I'm not mistaken Olds rotate counter clockwise so start at one and follow your firing order and VIOLA!
I'm guessing it's sluggish after putting in the distributor because either the mechanical or vacuum advance or both aren't adjusted properly.
I'm sure there will be a dozen more replies so hang in there
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:27 PM

Unless you have other performance mods, I believe the performer RPM alone will probably hurt your throttle response as well as your low end performance. Others who have dealt with this install can probably chime in as well. The RPM really helps when you have modifications, and even then only at higher rpm.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 04:32 PM

thanks for the answers guys. I think i got it tripdeuces, and thanks for the input 60oldzman. I have one more question if anyone can help... i did everything tripdeuces said, got TDC and arranged the plug wires right. Now my question is that it seemed like it wanted to start, it was popping off like it was gonna but then gas was spitting out the top of the carb and it wasnt firing, probably sounds like a dumb question, but what would cause it to do that?
Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:02 PM

Well first off I 'think'' the Olds turned counter-clockwise. Do this: take the cap off and crank the engine to be sure which way it rotates. If I'm wrong you'll just have to place the wires in the other direction. When you say gas is spitting out of the carb do you mean like a backfire? If it's a backfire the distributor is too far advanced. If you mean it's pouring out of the boosters the fuel pressure is too high or the needle and seat are clogged.
I can tell you how to set the timing without the car running but it's kinda drawn out. Try above first and we'll go from there or PM me.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:36 PM

your right it does turn counter-clockwise. gas is literally flying out the top of the carb when im trying to start it, and the engine is just making like a poof sound.. kinda like it wants to start sometimes but otherwise it just makes the poof sound. (sorry if that sounds dumb, i dont know how to explain that)
Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:05 PM

You either have a fuel pressure problem or something stuck in the needle and seat in the carb. I'm guessing that Edelbrock carb needs to be around 6-7 pounds max. Are you using an electric fuel pump or the mechanical one on the block? If the pressure is too high you'll need a regulator plumbed into the line. If you have a vacuum gauge many of them also read pressure and you could test it by checking the line from the pump. If not that then get one of those small in line pressure gauges and plumb it in under the hood.
If you pressure is fine the float is stuck or the needle and seat is clogged with something. Only way to check for that is to take the carb apart and inspect it. I know on some carbs turning them upside down can cause the float to stick. Maybe just a good whack with a screwdriver handle will free it up, could get lucky. I'm assuming when you say it's pouring out of the carb you mean it's coming out of the bowl vent?
Right now it's flooded badly, probably that poof sound you're talking about. After you find out what the problem is you're going to have to change the oil because it's no doubt diluted with gasoline and is worthless as a lubricant now.
BTW, if you don't own a vacuum gauge get one. It's one of the most handy tools you'll ever own and is relatively cheap as far as tools go. Because once you do get it running you'll need to set the idle mixture screws and that's where the vacuum gauge comes in.
Old July 5th, 2010, 09:43 PM

i am using the mechanical one on the block. im gonna probably end up buying a regulator, i also am getting a holley carb from a buddy of mine, so then im not gonna deal with the edelbrock one right now. yea it wasnt exactly flloding over the top of the carb or anything, but it was spitting out allot when i was trying to start it. yes i will change the oil too after too. oh and im gonna buy a vacuum gauge too hopefully soon here. thanks allot for all your help too btw. i should getting running soon then. if i end up having another problem ill know where to go haha. thanks again..