Oil filter touching headers

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2010, 02:03 PM

Oil filter touching headers

Hi,

Restoring my 1970 Olds Cutlass 350. Installed new hedman headers and now the oil filter is slightly touching the headers.

Is this a problem for anyone or should I not worry about it?

Thanks,
James
Old April 17th, 2010, 02:27 PM

I would recommend trying to "fix" the problem. The oil in your engine is not only there to lubricate but also to dissipate heat. The last thing you want is to make it hotter. You didn't mention where the actual contact is---try to use a smaller (standard size) filter if possible. Try to tweak the header tube if need be. Hedman is a pretty good brand and I'd think they would or should fit as intended. Are you 100% positive you have the correct part #? How about a remote oil filter---easy to install, inexpensive, and should solve the problem.
Old April 17th, 2010, 05:23 PM

Thanks Dave. Good ideas. The filter that is on there is ginormous so maybe I can get something smaller. If I can't, I'll look into relocating. I certainly don't want to mess/tweak with the headers...they cost too much and they are coated.

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
I would recommend trying to "fix" the problem. The oil in your engine is not only there to lubricate but also to dissipate heat. The last thing you want is to make it hotter. You didn't mention where the actual contact is---try to use a smaller (standard size) filter if possible. Try to tweak the header tube if need be. Hedman is a pretty good brand and I'd think they would or should fit as intended. Are you 100% positive you have the correct part #? How about a remote oil filter---easy to install, inexpensive, and should solve the problem.