oil cooler ?????

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

oil cooler ?????

ok guys the current motor im running is a 350. when i built the bottom end i intended it to be rebuilt this up coming winter., as i just polished the journals and installed std. bearings. i have been driving this motor for 5 months no problems the oil psi bounces in idle under load between 20-25 a little but my tolerances where in the loose side so i knew that was the issue and its a rough idle i might add in drive i usually pop it in neautral and its steady but today i drove it to work and it was about 60 degrees engine temps never went past 175. the oil pressure never bounced im thinking when the oil gets hot usually around 190 it gets thin enough to affect my oil psi. my question is should i get a an oil cooler, higher flowing water pump or go back to stock pulley to speed up the h20 pump i currently have a stock one i found lying around that worked . i might add this motor makes no noises and im planning on rebuilding another shortblock this winter and keeping this one as a back up. i also run 15w40 rotella with lucas oil stabalizer and a zddp addivitve overkill maybe but id rather safe than sorry. i think my oil is just getting too hot along with my motor running a tad bit hot at stop lights . any ideas and cheap ones i might add lol will greatly be appreciated
Old August 11th, 2011, 04:01 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Olds 350 diesels ran an engine oil intercooler (similar to a trans cooler), maybe you could source one and use that.
Roger.
Old August 11th, 2011, 09:01 AM

Get the engine cooling under control also.
Old August 11th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Administrator

What your describing is normal for what you have! Yes the oil will be thinner at operating temps of around 190. Your pressure seems fine! Yor rough idle is not caused by your bottom end rebuild, its a charactoristic of a bad tune! I would go back and retune it so it runs smooth at idle!
Old August 11th, 2011, 04:19 PM

the rough idle is due to my convertor being a tad bit tight for my cam. the tune is as good as it gets. it idles at 850 900 rpm nice n smooth in drive it drops to about 750 where its choppy but it wont die never has i just dont like it lunging in drive it's the only reason i drop to neautral . the only way it will idle smooth in drive is to either richen the idle or open up the idle screw but then it idles at 1100 rpm in neutral and 900 in drive i think i need a higer stall convertor. im happy where its at it runs great just the oiling thing has me worried abit but i tend to over react sometimes. also sorry i might have not mentioned enough but what i meant was that my oil pressure bounces when the idle is rough not that my bottom end is makig it idle rough

Last edited by coppercutlass; August 11th, 2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old August 12th, 2011, 03:39 PM

I wouldn't worry about a oil cooler there is nothing wrong with your oil pressure. Do you have a big cam and a stock converter? If you are using a undersize crank pulley you should be watching your voltage at low RPM's that could be part of the problem also and it's most likely the problem with it running hot at low RPM's. Those under size pulleys can be a real PITA on a street car.
Old August 12th, 2011, 03:51 PM

the cam is a repro w31 with modern design from comp its the 280h., my convertor is a 2000-2100 stall but i think it could use a 2500-2800 stall and so does everyone else. comp recommends a 2200 rpm + stall with this cam but this motor really comes to life around 2500. im thinking im going to get my convertor re stalled it's killing my 60ft times . i only worry about my oiling because i beat the snot out of this motor i race it drive it to work and usually drive it hard i just cant shake the lead weight from my foot lol