New harmonic balancer?

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2015, 04:19 AM

New harmonic balancer?

First off, I blame all of this on beer. Second, I was kinda looking for an excuse to install a new one anyways, but I don't want to waste money without a decent excuse.

Long story short, my balancer sleeve install didn't go so well. Yes I froze the balancer and heated the sleeve. Lets skip the details and say it didn't slip on, I got frustrated (while drinking), and now I've got this:

The top is mushroomed out a tad, and the sleeve isn't as far down as it should be (I think).

1) Is this usable as is?

2) Is there a decent way to peel off and clean what I did, then try again (sober)?

3) I was considering a Scat balancer from summit for $100. Could I slap this right on and go, or do you have to have them balanced with the motor at a machine shop? Low hp/rpm cruiser here. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by SkylinesSuck; March 25th, 2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old March 25th, 2015, 04:59 AM

Here is the Scat unit I was eyeballing, mostly for esthetic reasons before, but now also because it hopefully wouldn't leak oil past the seal:

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sca-d-80022
Old March 25th, 2015, 05:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

You can't use the balancer as-is. You can simply pry or peel that sleeve off and put a new one one. Most of the sleeves I've used come with a flange and driver cup that lets you get it on straight, then you peel the flange off.
Old March 25th, 2015, 05:28 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

How bad was the balancer surface under the sleeve?

If it wasn't really grooved, you can just heat up the sleeve really well with a torch and it should come right off.

- Eric

edit: Joe beat me to it.
Old March 25th, 2015, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by SkylinesSuck
Here is the Scat unit I was eyeballing, mostly for esthetic reasons before, but now also because it hopefully wouldn't leak oil past the seal:

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sca-d-80022
Depending on whether or not you have Amazon Prime, you could avoid the cost of shipping and get it in two days if you buy through Amazon. I was also eyeing up this balancer as well.

Amazon.com: Professional Products 80022 PowerForce 6.5" Harmonic Damper: Automotive Amazon.com: Professional Products 80022 PowerForce 6.5" Harmonic Damper: Automotive
Old March 25th, 2015, 06:26 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by pherbicide
D... you could avoid the cost of shipping and get it in two days if you buy through Amazon.
To Okinawa? I guess they ARE using delivery drones now...

- Eric
Old March 25th, 2015, 06:31 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Both those balancers will probably work. Nicest part, if they line up right, is the numbers on the balancer for timing.
Old March 25th, 2015, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
To Okinawa? I guess they ARE using delivery drones now...

- Eric
Ooooh, I missed the fact that SkylinesSuck was located in Okinawa

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Both those balancers will probably work. Nicest part, if they line up right, is the numbers on the balancer for timing.
Not trying to threadjack, but much appreciated to hear some input regarding this balancer, as the numbers would be quite handy for timing indeed.
Old March 25th, 2015, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
How bad was the balancer surface under the sleeve?

If it wasn't really grooved, you can just heat up the sleeve really well with a torch and it should come right off.

I don't think the groove was too bad, but I could feel it.

My current plan is to heat it then pull it off. One thing to note is I did use the red locktite looking stuff and have a feeling that's going to complicate things. We'll see.

I also just ordered the Scat balancer. I'll install the stock balancer, have it the motor paint, then pull it and install the Scat balancer. I'll re-sleeve the original after paint and keep it for spare/original.

I'd still like to hear any input on whether or not it's okay to install a balancer on an assembled motor with out having everything balanced.
Old March 25th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The red LockTite releases with heat, so just hit it with a torch and you'll be fine.

How much was it leaking before? If not much, you'll probably get away with it as-is.
It does look like a pretty distinct groove to me, though.

The crank, balancer, and flywheel/flexplate are all independently balanced - you do not have to match or rebalance the components.

- Eric
Old March 25th, 2015, 03:54 PM

Yeah, I think it might have been leaking before. Either there or at the bottom of the timing cover. Either way, one of the many reasons for pulling the engine.

About the balancing, exactly the confirmation I was looking for. Thanks! I'll post pics when it's finally on the freshly painted motor.