Mechanical fan blade replacement

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2013, 10:41 AM

Mechanical fan blade replacement

Hey everyone. I'm going to replace my mechanical fan blade on my 68' cutlass 350 and was looking at going with a Nylon Flex-a-lite blade. Does anyone on here have any experience running a nylon blade? Are they good to use for standard driving conditions (car only driven in spring & summer and not raced). Reason I was looking at the nylon blades is because they are light weight and good for 8,000 rpm as opposed to the standard steel hub/stainless flex blade replacements I've found that are 6+ pounds and good to 6,000 rpm. Can you guys weigh in and help me decide! Thanks!
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Administrator

I use something along these lines:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-1980/all

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-19818
Old February 19th, 2013, 05:00 PM

This is really hard to beat, cools good & doesn't use much power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
imagesCA6WLZDU.jpg (8.3 KB, 40 views)
a2079151367de75b63a97a_m.jpg (14.4 KB, 43 views)
561925603_tp.jpg (22.5 KB, 36 views)
Old February 19th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jjokrm
Hey everyone. I'm going to replace my mechanical fan blade on my 68' cutlass 350 and was looking at going with a Nylon Flex-a-lite blade. Does anyone on here have any experience running a nylon blade? Are they good to use for standard driving conditions (car only driven in spring & summer and not raced). Reason I was looking at the nylon blades is because they are light weight and good for 8,000 rpm as opposed to the standard steel hub/stainless flex blade replacements I've found that are 6+ pounds and good to 6,000 rpm. Can you guys weigh in and help me decide! Thanks!
Flex fans suck (or more correctly, DON'T). Use the clutch fan shown above.
Old February 19th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Hey everyone. I'm going to replace my mechanical fan blade on my 68' cutlass 350...
Why?

... to use for standard driving conditions (car only driven in spring & summer and not raced). Reason I was looking at the nylon blades is because they are light weight and good for 8,000 rpm as opposed to the standard steel hub/stainless flex blade replacements I've found that are 6+ pounds and good to 6,000 rpm.
So you're saying that under "standard driving conditions" you rev your SBO close to 8,000 RPM?

Man, I wanna meet you.

Originally Posted by M-14
Smoooooooth post of the year award.

- Eric
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:58 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Why?

So you're saying that under "standard driving conditions" you rev your SBO close to 8,000 RPM?

Man, I wanna meet you.

Smoooooooth post of the year award.

- Eric
No, I'm not saying that. I actually have no idea what it revs since it has no tach
I just wanted something light weight......less rotating mass, less stress on the water pump bearing...etc.
Old February 19th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You can install something lightweight that will work badly, or you can keep something heavier that a very large corporation with huge research and testing resources paid hundreds of engineers millions of dollars to develop.

Your choice.

- Eric
Old February 19th, 2013, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by M-14
So flex fans don't cool well.....Why does the clutch fan cool better? Didn't these cars come standard with clutch fans? My 68' doesn't have the original Rocket 350 and somebody down the line put a 16" fan blade on it which is too small if you ask me.
Old February 19th, 2013, 07:17 PM

The clutch fan had a very deep pitch (like 2.5") designed to move huge volumes of air. The thermostatic clutch engaged it only when needed, like idling along on a summer day. They were installed mostly on A/C cars or those with heavy duty cooling systems.
If yours has a 16", it might be a bit small. Flex fans usually do not have a deep enough pitch to move enough air.
Old February 19th, 2013, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
You can install something lightweight that will work badly, or you can keep something heavier that a very large corporation with huge research and testing resources paid hundreds of engineers millions of dollars to develop.

Your choice.

- Eric
.....nice. Thanks for the words of wisdom. So would you recommend a clutch fan or something like this........

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...267104_9123_0_
Old February 19th, 2013, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
The clutch fan had a very deep pitch (like 2.5") designed to move huge volumes of air. The thermostatic clutch engaged it only when needed, like idling along on a summer day. They were installed mostly on A/C cars or those with heavy duty cooling systems.
If yours has a 16", it might be a bit small. Flex fans usually do not have a deep enough pitch to move enough air.
Thanks Rob.
Old February 19th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So would you recommend a clutch fan or something like this........
Either an original clutch fan, or a good quality electric fan, such as one from a late-model production car (others who have done the swap will know the best models), if you want to do a bit more work and have a bit less originality.

- Eric
Old February 19th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

I have used a flex-a-lite nylon fan on every one of my circle track cars in the 70's and 80's.... plus on some of my tow vehicles. They work great, are ez on the water pump bearings and my newest 330 powered dirt car will get one as well.

There's a circle track parts manufacturer here in WI that even makes thin spacers for these fans so they can be shimmed to get closer to the radiator. Evidently there are a lot of circle track guys using them on pavement cars.

Excellent product IMHO.

Last edited by krooser; February 20th, 2013 at 04:55 AM.
Old February 20th, 2013, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by krooser
I have used a flex-a-lite nylon fan on every one of my circle track cars in the 70's and 80's.... plus on some of my tow vehicles. They work great, are ez on the water pump bearings and my newest 330 powered dirt car will get one as well.

Excellent product IMHO.
Thanks! Looks like I've got a decision to make........ Thanks again guys for all of your feedback. I really appreciate it.