Looking for information on 76 350 motor?

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2009, 04:58 PM

Looking for information on 76 350 motor?

I just recently brought a 350 motor and trans. I looking to put some good work into them for the street. I have a 85 Cutlass right now. I need to know what would anyone recommend I put into the entire motor, & trans to be street legal, but still have alot of horses. Also would I have to change my rearend? The numbers on the motor is 395558 2 16, Trans #s r 70 JS179 D, Rear End #s r 9AJ 0 170 or 176 10 Bolt. Anyone with input please give me some part numbers, especially for the motor starting from the block to the carb.
Old March 12th, 2009, 05:18 PM

Please, help me build my car. I'm new to this site and I'm really not a machanic, but I know how to change oil and minor machanic work like changing a fan belt,starter and things like that. As far as inside the motor, I'm green. All I really know is I have a 350 motor and I'm not so sure about the trannie. My prior post were from all the number & letters I got off the motor and trannie. Thanks for all replys.
Old March 12th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Sedrick
I have a 85 Cutlass right now. I need to know what would anyone recommend I put into the entire motor, & trans to be street legal, but still have alot of horses.
The first question is, what do you mean by "street legal"? Is your 85 required to pass emissions testing where you live? If so, that will limit what you can do.
Old March 12th, 2009, 07:05 PM

Yes it is.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The first question is, what do you mean by "street legal"? Is your 85 required to pass emissions testing where you live? If so, that will limit what you can do.
I live in Louisiana and right now, I have a 3.3 in it. I just want a to bore it over .30, Good Cam to make it sound good put positive traction and fast. Thanks for any info. I'm not to familiar about the inside of the motor, so I would need names and part # Please of good reliable olds parts.
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:33 AM

Finding a good machine shop is the first order of business. With your location posted now hopfully someone on the site will recomend one to you. A good shop will discuss the options with you to give you the best bang for your buck. Others on this site who have built 350's can chime in with recommendations that you can use when you discuss the build. Good luck with the build
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Thanks

Originally Posted by citcapp
Finding a good machine shop is the first order of business. With your location posted now hopfully someone on the site will recomend one to you. A good shop will discuss the options with you to give you the best bang for your buck. Others on this site who have built 350's can chime in with recommendations that you can use when you discuss the build. Good luck with the build
Thanks for the input. I have located a machine shop already where I can get my block bored, But I don't know how much knowledge he is with Olds motors like the folks on this site.
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:13 AM

Just wondering.

Is there anyone else who would like to give me some ideas?