little carb issue with my new 650 dp holley

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

little carb issue with my new 650 dp holley

Ok guys so the other day i took my carb off and adjusted the seconday throttle plates so i could get a better idle. It worked good. Then about an hour later i went to move it and it was hard to start almost like flooding and then when i parked it i noticed heat vapor coming from the carb. i notice fuel coming out from the boosters. It stoped as the fuel psi went down. Im positive it was a stuck needle and seat. I took the carb off shook it and made sure the floats where moving and put it back on . After this i sfired it up and shut it off and nothing happened . My question would be should i replace the needle and seat or wait till it happens again ? finally took the car out for a drive today and it loves the new carb and converter i didnt take it too far still needs a trans cooler. I also noticed the squirter in the primaries was a bit loose and weas leaking i tightened it up and it stopped. Another thing i noticed was that the fuel sqirt on the pass. side shooter hole it not very strong instead of being a nice shot it looks like i pulled the water nozzle on full blast and seems a bit sloppy compared to the rest of the nozzle shots. It does not seem to hamper performance but i think the same peice of crud that could have been in my needle and seat is not in the shooter is this possible ? The car runs good it only has a flat spot if i come to a quick stop and get on it with out clearing the carb or leatting the idle come back upwhich i have no issue with. any advice is appreciated i talked to one of my local olds racers who said it was a stuck needle and seat which im positive it was . I just wanna know if anyone else has had any similar issues should i leave it or address it or if it will keep happeing. Im not too savy with holleys i have only had one before i usually run eddy carbs.
Old March 17th, 2012, 10:19 AM

Those squirters come out rather easily - I'd blow it out!
If it still does it, pull the jet plate and blow that out. Maybe where the squirter screws in, too!
As far as the needle and seat - might've just been a piece of dirt - if it happens again, pull the bowl and check it out!
As far as the 'flat spot', there are 'jet protecters' that'll eliminate that.
Old March 17th, 2012, 10:36 AM

I know the squirters come out easy i have rebuilt a few holleys. I never actually had one with a stuck needle or weird pump shot. i haven't messed with holleys enough to know them well and by that i mean tuning and diagnosins certain crab issues . This holley out performs the edelbrock i tuned it and the brakes seem stronger than with the e brock and the throttle response it better but it's a pig on gas but you gotta give some to gain some. Im gonna pull the shooter out next time and clean it up. I keep monitoring the carb after i shut it off just to make sure i have no issues. The other weird thing it does now. Is when i shut it off i hear a weird vibration between fuel pump and carb inlet lines. It never did it before . It seems like pressure is trying to bleed off and something is shimmying in side and its not very long but dunno wth it is. Fuel psi actually goes up about 2 psi before it drops i noticed.
Old March 17th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Do you think you might have the fuel line routed to cause vapor lock. Also did you check your float settings. I've found that most people get the secondary float setting to high.
Old March 17th, 2012, 05:24 PM

I would say it's the needle & seat chattering. I think I would change one/both of them. Make sure the squirter levers are on the cams. Also make sure the fuel pressure isn't too high. That will cause the "drooling" of the squirters also.
Old March 17th, 2012, 05:45 PM

Fuel psi is right at 5.5 . I have to agree with 380racer I think its the needle and seat chattering its very subtle. Float levels are dead on I set them on the bench and checked them while running .
Old March 18th, 2012, 01:49 PM

I'm guessing you didn't rebuild that carb before using it. I'd tear it down and clean everything in a dip tank and freshen up all the gaskets. When it comes to Holleys "Cleanliness is next to Godliness".
I never trust any used Holley until it's been gone through, you can find damned near anything inside a used Holley, the current one I'm using must of had a butt load of water in the fuel because it had hard water deposits inside of it, took a good soaking in CLR on top of the carb tank to get rid of it, been doing cars for 35 years never owned a new Holley, they almost always work perfect after a good bath.
Old March 18th, 2012, 02:14 PM

Its a reman from holley so pretty close to new . I'm gonna replace the needle and seat I have one in my carb parts bin.
Old March 25th, 2012, 03:21 PM

Ok im bringing this back. So today i took the car out for a nice drive then a little hard drive test testing how in launched an how the trans was working with the new converter. Car runs good. The only issew is the noise i was hearing that chatter turns out is my regulator. It shutters/chatters a bit when i shut the car off for a few seconds. Is this regulator junk its new quick fuel regulator set to 5.5 psi . I also noticed when i shut the car off it seems moisture from fuel is present at the top on the venturis . I think i needs new squirter gaskets not bad seepage just slight. I did confirm it was the regulator by having my dad shut the car off as i held my hand on the carb's front bowl and the regulator and it was the regulator. Anyone ever experience this . The car runs good but this noise can be right.