Intake oil leak

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2014, 08:27 AM

Intake oil leak

I know this has been addressed before, but here's the situation:
I pulled the distributor & got a mirror on the back of the intake. Looks like it's leaking right about the middle of the intake. I did just like Edelbrock said on the install (the prevoius owner installed an Edelbrock Performer aluminum intake on the car). No rubber seal on the ends, used RTV & had it oozing out a little. The block & the intake were clean, I had just taken the engine out of the car & rebuilt the top end. Torqued in sequence to 15# then to 25# (they call for 25# not 30# that the original did). Now, we've put about 150-200 miles on it. Since I had the distributor out anyway I retorqued the bolts. Some of them went 1/2 turn before they clicked. Do you think that may fix it? Or at least help? I don't see where it will make it worse.
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Clean the area really well and check again. If it's still leaking you will need to buy a new gasket and do again.
Old July 19th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

When you do intake gaskets on an Olds V8 you must put a very generous bead of RTV on both rails. I have cleaned with brake cleaner and touched up RTV to fix minor seepage.
Old July 19th, 2014, 02:14 PM

Also you need to let it set at least 24 hours. I started one up to soon, and had to redo. Also have someone help you if it is in the car, to hard to set straight down by yourself in the car. Also have a bolt ready, and try not to do it on a sloped driveway. Did one on my driveway, one time, and my driveway has a slope, and by the time I got a bolt in, I had to readjust, as it slid, and you don't what to slide it back and forth.
Old July 19th, 2014, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by 442Harv
Also you need to let it set at least 24 hours. I started one up to soon, and had to redo. Also have someone help you if it is in the car, to hard to set straight down by yourself in the car. Also have a bolt ready, and try not to do it on a sloped driveway. Did one on my driveway, one time, and my driveway has a slope, and by the time I got a bolt in, I had to readjust, as it slid, and you don't what to slide it back and forth.
It does need to set. But don't torque the bolts at all before doing this. Finger tight. This has worked for me and I have never had a problem. JMO