I found my problem

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:48 PM

I found my problem

Ok I found my problem(s). I have a 72 350 in my 84 Custom Cruiser. I bought it off Ebay for $400. The guy I got it from said he thinks it has a cam. I know it has Competetion CAms roller tipped rockers. and an Edelbrock intake. The car now has true duals. The carb is q Q-jet. I am also running a Holley electric fuel pump not that it should matter. So now to my problems. Turns out I do have a vacuum leak. I tested it the same way as before but today it worked. I used carb spray and today the engine sped up when I sprayed the passenger side mid way back. It's leaking at the intake gasket. And around the heat riser, even though I used a gasket there. Now I have questions. Is it ok to drive like this? Right now it runs fine at regular throttle. The secondaries will not kick in. If I jump on it then the engine just falls on it's face. I would bet this is a direct result of the vacuum leak, right? I'd like to take it on a 4 hour trip but i'm not sure as the A/F guage is showing way lean at partial throttle. I checked a plug but only before finding the leak. I checked the #1 plug, not one by the leak. So again should I drive it like this? If so is it ok to take it on the highway for four hours? I know I have to put new intake gaskets on it. Just wondering how soon It has to be. Also is there anything special I should know about putting new intake gaskets on? Also I have a lifter tick. Can I put new lifters on a cam that's already there? Thanx mates.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
ROCKETeer

i wouldnt drive it like that. and i believe its not just intake gaskets like a SBC, mine has a metal valley pan for the intake gasket, and you have to silicone the **** out of it...