How is STP Additive Doing These Days?

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2009, 11:41 PM

How is STP Additive Doing These Days?

When I was a kid, my Dad didn't have an oil change or go anywhere without adding STP to his car engine. I guess I should keep in mind he was'nt a mechanic by trade, but he was a master machinist and knew all about metals and seemed to know a lot about cars. I don't hear much about STP anymore, and don't know how it stacks up against the newer additives - but it is still on the shelves.

Is STP still an additive of choice and why would you use it over another additive?
Old September 25th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Registered

I don't use any additives, plenty of stuff in the oil already it seems, I just change it often.
I think STP is still mostly oil of some type, a lot of those new super additives contain a lot of chlorine bleach, funny that Clorox owns STP?

The last time I used STP was in my '64 Chebby back in high school. It got a little cold out and the oil was so thick it looked like molasses and the starter wouldn't even think of turning that engine over. It was stuck on the street for days until my dad got his torch out and heated the pan up to thin the oil enough to crank it, it couldn't of done that engine much good when it started.
I wouldn't use it in the winter.
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:07 AM

I use E.O.S. (engine oil supplement) from the dealer for an additive in my GM cars,the 63 394 engines have a ticking noise and after adding one can it magically goes away.I add a can at every oil change and use it in my 02 Bravada as well.
STP replaces some of the additives that burn off over time but the viscosity of your oil will change making it thicker or heavier.For the extra few bucks I would suggest the E.O.S. instead.
Steve
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Funny story.
An STP rep dropped off a bunch of stickers at a local Marathon station for the customers. Obviously, this was to advertise the additives being sold there. I took a sticker and slapped on my old delta, amongst all the other old stickers, and a week later the sticker turned completely white and fuzzy.
I then wrote on the faded sticker:

"STP makes cheap stickers."

They probably cheap out everywhere else nowadays as well.
Old September 25th, 2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I don't use any additives, plenty of stuff in the oil already it seems, I just change it often.
I think STP is still mostly oil of some type, a lot of those new super additives contain a lot of chlorine bleach, funny that Clorox owns STP?
That's probably a good idea based on the additives already in the oil today (to not use STP). In my case using 40W oil, this too may be a factor not to use an additive.

Any other comments out there?
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:47 PM

Once the baby boomers die off STP will cease to exist. There must still be some diehards out there that use it. Then again I am sure it still fills the niche as a band aid for worn out machinery.
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nilsson
Once the baby boomers die off STP will cease to exist. There must still be some diehards out there that use it. Then again I am sure it still fills the niche as a band aid for worn out machinery.
But if it's an acceptable engine additive, then would it not also be considered a preventitive to engine wear-down?
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:40 PM

I used to work in a laboratory-2 actually. In those days the base stock oils -3 in total- were unloaded to the various local oil companies(off the same ship)--BP, MOBIL, CALTEX, SHELL and CASTROL.To arrive at a certain viscosity we just blended the base stocks and checked the viscosities at 100 and 210 fahr. The ' goodies ' were then added and for the mostpart were identical --at least in the 2 labs I worked in . Oil science is a complicated beast but with the best research scientists and equipment The larger companies seem to have it pretty good .
What I guess ,in a very long-winded way , I am saying is this
1. The oil companies have too much to lose if their product is c%$p so why produce the latter
2. Anyone can add a couple of well-known additives and call it SUPER SMOOTH or whatever.Do they worry about good science ?
3. On the basis of 1. you shouldn`t need to add 2. (may be exceptions for hard core racing?)

I believe regular oil changes and good filters make sense.
My 2p worth
mike
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

STP was originally owned by Studebaker. They do make a fuel additive in a red plastic bottle. I used to love those STP stickers back in the 60's. Richard Petty and ANdy Granatelli made it very popular. With the exception of the ZDDP I think there are probably better additives out there. I was always a Bardahl fan. Except for the flat tappet concern, I still think the best thing for an engine in good condition is good oil and filters and keep them changed often. I am a big fan of Mobil I and Wix filters.
Old September 25th, 2009, 08:09 PM

Use Valvoline VR1 all the ZDDP you need no extra additive required. I have read that the levels of ZDDP in today's STP have been lessened to be catalytic converter friendly.
Old September 26th, 2009, 04:28 PM

A coworker who used to race told me he added STP in the rear end, he claimed it was the only stuff that would hold up in the rear end. He used Mobile 1 in the engine. Years ago my brother told me it wasn't good for cylinder walls, Something about a build up of crap. I never used it.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by coldwar
One thing: The 'red' can STP additive is supposed to contain ZDDP, STP is being widely discussed again because if it does contain ZDDP, it is a inexpensive alternative to buying the specialized ZDDP additives available, to get it in to our engines with flat tappet camshafts. I can't confirm or deny the claim, as no one around here (so far) seems to carry the red can STP brew, only the blue can. Try a google search on 'STP ZDDP', there is a ton of posts on the subject - CW
For those who have classic cars that predate catalytic converters and do not wish to use a racing type motor oil, ZDDPLUS may be an option. ZDDPLUS augments/adds ZDDP back into your engine (you can get via mail order for about $10 + shipping - which aint cheap). However There is some interesting info on the "Red" can of STP, as well to supplement ZDDP -see the link below (lots of pros and cons on the ZDDP options).

http://forums.noria.com/eve/forums/a...5/m/9231082891

Last edited by Dan Wirth; October 3rd, 2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:53 PM

Here's a very interesting article about Oil. A bit of info overload, but some of it is good to know. Scroll down to FAQs and scroll again to the SAE chart that shows the different weights and what temperatures are best for their use. Also lots of info on ZDDP and options.

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

Last edited by Dan Wirth; October 3rd, 2009 at 10:58 PM.