Hooker Header Install 72 Cutlass SBO ?

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2013, 07:31 AM

Hooker Header Install 72 Cutlass SBO ?

All,

I'm installing Hooker Super Comp Headers 3107-HKR this afternoon (Aug 25th) and want to know what is the best way to remove the oil dipstick tube, so I don't break it? If I do break it where can I get a new one to replace it quickly?

Also, as far as removing the oil filter and filter mount, why is this needed? Will I not be able to install my hooker super comp headers 3107-HKR without removing the starter, oil filter and oil filter mount?

What is the torque lbs when re-installing the filter mount bolts and will I need to drain the oil from the motor entirely? I wouldn't think so, but u never know.

These will be going on my 72 Cutlass 350/350 column shift with manual brakes.

Thanks to coppercutlass for answering some of my questions earlier, but don't want to annoy just you with a thousand questions.
Old August 25th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Shaking out the cobwebs..

There are others here who can give you better advice on the dipstick tube than I can. However, when I replaced mine, I tried a Mr Gasket stick, but it didn't fit, it was way to loose. I ended up using a Trans Dapt one. I had to file down the middle ring a bit to get it to fit. I ordered both of them from Summit.

But, the starter, oil filter and mount need to be removed to allow room to maneuver the headers into place. The mount bolts are torqued to 35 ft/lbs. You may need another gasket for the mount on the block. I never had to drain the oil from my engine when removing the oil filter mount.

You may also run into clearance issues with the column shift linkage. There is a thread or two around here that discuss this. I didn't have that problem as my car was converted to floor shift prior to the header installation.

Last edited by midrange; August 25th, 2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old August 25th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Full-time Taxpayer

Originally Posted by yankees
All,

I'm installing Hooker Super Comp Headers 3107-HKR this afternoon (Aug 25th) and want to know what is the best way to remove the oil dipstick tube, so I don't break it? If I do break it where can I get a new one to replace it quickly?

Supercars Unlimited

http://www.supercarsunlimited.com/En...ubes-i110.aspx
Old August 25th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

The only way I've ever successfully removed the dipstick tube without destroying it is to use a slide hammer. I fabricated a tool that was two bolts welded head-to-head. One bolt is sized to fit the slide hammer and the other is sized to tightly fit in the end of the tube. Insert this fabricated tool in the tube, clamp it with a vice grip pliers (wrap duct tape around the tube if you care about scratching it with the vice grips), then use the slide hammer to extract the tube. To install, you can ONLY tap on the raised bead at the bottom of the tube. There is a special Kent-Moore installation tool that is essentially a piece of tubing that slips over the dipstick tube. The side of the tool is machined away so you can slip it over the dipstick tube and press on the bead, then tap away on the tool with a hammer to seat the tube.

You WILL need to remove the starter, oil filter adapter, etc. to install the headers.
Old August 25th, 2013, 09:44 AM

Thanks everyone. I ordered a new dipstick and filter adapter gasket just in case. If I can pull out the existing tube that would be great and I'll return the new one then.
Old August 25th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Quick tip. Soak the snot out of the dip stick base where it goes into the block with kano oil or deep creep seafoam oil. Let it soak it for a few days. Then gran a hammer and a small piece of 2x4. Place the wood over the dipstick tube flat and give it a whack with a 3lb sledge to break it loose so to speak. Then you start to wobble it out while pulling up. It worked for me once and I broke one before too.