high rpm popping/breaking up olds 215

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2014, 03:46 AM

You could remove the valve springs, without having to remove the head. Simply turn the crank until both valves on that particular cylinder are closed (top dead center) and then remove the sparkplug. Attach a fitting which will screw into the sparkplug hole and then turn on the tap. As long as there's pressure in the cylinder, the valve will sit still. Then, you can compress the spring, remove the retaing bits and then bench test each valve spring for tension strength
Old March 6th, 2014, 07:25 PM

ok the carb is still leaking at the discharge nozzle. I changed the needle and seat and cleaned out the top of the carb but still getting the drip. It doesnt do it while running or right when you shut it off. It took about 5min before fuel started coming out. The fuel isnt just dripping its almost a steady stream, and its flooding the engine. The sound is still there but i noticed it happens sooner getting on the freeway after work than after its warmed up and im almost home.
Old March 6th, 2014, 07:27 PM

also im getting a backfire when starting the car after its been running. it actually melted the cheapo edelbrock foam aircleaner, mostly the plastic little cage deal tat goes inside.
Old March 6th, 2014, 11:54 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by young olds
also im getting a backfire when starting the car after its been running. it actually melted the cheapo edelbrock foam aircleaner, mostly the plastic little cage deal tat goes inside.

Maybe you need to take time out from the fuel system and check the ignition system is working properly.
It won't cost much, anything not working properly will need to be replaced anyway.
If the ignition system isn't working properly you will NEVER get the fuel system right.
Sounds like you have a timing issue to me, or possibly crossfiring problems.

Roger.
Old March 7th, 2014, 03:32 PM

i just figured the carb would be an easy fix and i could eliminate that as a possible cause for my problem
Old March 7th, 2014, 08:42 PM

I put in a new condenser and nothing changed. noticed an oil looking substance on two terminals inside the cap again.
Old March 8th, 2014, 11:30 AM

heres a video, now that i heard it while not driving it sounds like its coming out the carb but i didnt see anything coming out. also that squeeky noise is new
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imhd...ature=youtu.be
Old March 8th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That sounds like something loose to me.

Have you checked your crank and flexplate bolts, and looked to see whether your flexplate is cracked?

Where does the sound seem to be coming from?

- Eric
Old March 8th, 2014, 12:04 PM

i just figured the carb would be an easy fix and i could eliminate that as a possible cause for my problem
90% of carb problems are electrical.
Old March 8th, 2014, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
That sounds like something loose to me.

Have you checked your crank and flexplate bolts, and looked to see whether your flexplate is cracked?

Where does the sound seem to be coming from?

- Eric
no, it never even crossed my mind. it does sound different though, that why i havent been convinced its an ignition problem. but it is the popping im concerned about not that squeek. it sounds like its coming through the carb.
Old March 8th, 2014, 01:16 PM

It doesnt appear that i can check the bolts with the trans in place.
Old March 9th, 2014, 08:47 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I put in a new condenser and nothing changed. noticed an oil looking substance on two terminals inside the cap again.

I'll say it again, try new points, and a cap and rotor arm wouldn't go amiss. You need to find out how the cap is getting fouled, that might be the answer to your problem.

Roger.
Old March 9th, 2014, 09:22 AM

heres a video, now that i heard it while not driving it sounds like its coming out the carb but i didnt see anything coming out. also that squeeky noise is new
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imhd...ature=youtu.be
Is your fan blade hitting the shroud when the engine rocks?
Old March 14th, 2014, 03:02 PM

still have the popping, i bumped the timing up a little and backfires while cranking are fewer. i had my window down while getting on the freeway today and got a good listen, Im almost confident its a backfire through the carb. also the vacuum gauge flutters when it happens.
Old March 29th, 2014, 08:12 PM

Well figured it out, put the stock intake and carb back on today and it has a flat lobe on the cam. It's nearly round at this point.
Old March 29th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Senior Moment Member

Well, that's a good and a bad thing. Bad because now you have to fix it. Good because now you get to put a bigger cam in it!
Old March 29th, 2014, 09:39 PM

For a quick clean I use Berrymans B12, pour some in the bowl vents and spray some down the throat of the carb while operating the throttle with your hand. Put a can of it in your gas tank. It disolves varnish instantly and really works great. Much better than seafoam IMO. It comes in spray and pourable cans. Plus new points, condenser, coil, Ill bet you will see a big difference.
Old March 30th, 2014, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
Well, that's a good and a bad thing. Bad because now you have to fix it. Good because now you get to put a bigger cam in it!
Yeah that would be ideal but I don't feel like a cam swap, more work than I want to do
Old March 30th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

But you do have to do it, so now is the time to consider whether you want a different cam profile, and decide which one.

- Eric
Old March 30th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Hookers under Hood

I think I mentioned possible cam.
Old March 30th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Administrator

A cam is not that hard, you can change the timing chain at the same time. I just got done doing it to mine for the same reason. I thought it was something valve related sorry it's on the extreme end of the repair.
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Hookers under Hood

Your on the road to recovery now, these guys will certainly help you thru the process on removal and install. Start by pulling the rad and a/c condenser if equipped, then your good to go.
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:41 AM

should be a points dist?? - if so - go to a =QUALITY!! parts store=NAPA= get the new points set & new condenser too =Heavy duty points set if avail!! set dwell & have fun!
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Not certain about these earlier models, but in most Olds, you don't need to remove the condenser.

- Eric
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:52 AM

Thumbs up condenser=??

trust in an old mechanic!!! when points are being replaced! replace the condenser also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if not - hehe ull be sorry soon!
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Matt Hohmann
when points are being replaced! replace the condenser also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if not - hehe ull be sorry soon!
UNLESS you are replacing an old, functional, American-made condenser with a new Chinese one, in which case, toss the old one in the glove compartment, because your mileage may vary.

- Eric
Old March 30th, 2014, 10:05 AM

I Know whats involved in doing a cam swap, I know im only 19 but this kind of work isnt new to me. This is my tenth car in my search for what i want and even though im young im already tired of spending time and money working on cars, i just want to drive. I bought the car with the intentions of doing a little body work and paint and the interior only. I know i should have noticed this poor running condition before i bought it but the seller never even hinted that there was any sort of problem, even if he didnt know it was the cam he had to of known it wasnt running right. anyways thanks for the help.
Old March 30th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Hookers under Hood

The PO may have not known it was the Cam, Anytime you hear a popping out the carb that's one thing that's always comes to mind when buying used. Sounds like you will have a decent runner once you get it done.
Old March 30th, 2014, 05:05 PM

I dont know if he knew or not, im just saying he had to of known there was something wrong. I would never have known unless i put the original intake back on and looked while i was in there.
Old March 30th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Hookers under Hood

If you look at the bright side of things, the guys here helped you out with a free diagnosis on many crucial items that could have been your culprit. Now you nailed it down to your cam... you will have a decent running car after you throw a cam and chain in it. Hey and spring is almost here!!
Old March 31st, 2014, 12:21 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Well..... Hands up, I was wrong. And I know the Uk built versions of the 215 - aka Rover V8 - were known to eat camshafts if the incorrect oil was used or wasn't changed regularly.
I hope you didn't waste too much time chasing down my diagnosis.

Roger.
Old March 31st, 2014, 03:17 PM

Honestly I didn't spend much time checking it. Once I got a good listen to what it was doing I knew it was cam or lifters, I was just hoping it was lifters.
Old March 31st, 2014, 04:04 PM
major noob

Best replace the lifters while you're at it and use some can lube upon assembly good luck